Fraternity Had Planned Alcohol Ban Before Student's Death

* National director reveals plans for dry houses by year 2000

By Ariel R. Frank, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Shortly before an MIT Phi Gamma Delta pledge died of alcohol poisoning, members of the chapter were warned that alcohol would soon be banned in its house, Bill Martin, the organization's executive director, said yesterday.

Martin said Phi Gamma Delta informed its 6,300 undergraduate members in September that alcohol will be banned from all of its college houses by July 1, 2000.

The fraternity made a public announcement of its new policy yesterday, six days after Scott Krueger, an 18-year-old first-year, was found unconscious in the house's basement.

Krueger never regained consciousness and died in the hospital on Monday. Boston police are investigating the death and could press criminal charges, said David Estrada, police spokesperson.

Under its current policy, the fraternity is not allowed to purchase or serve alcohol on chapter property. Members of legal drinking age can bring their own alcohol, however, and can drink alcoholic beverages at functions that are held off of chapter property. Those under 21 are not allowed to drink.

The new regulation will prohibit members from drinking on chapter property regardless of their age.

Harvard's final clubs, like the MIT fraternity, are banned by their graduate boards from providing alcohol. Individual members can and do serve alcoholic beverages at most final club functions, however.

And although members are not allowed to consume alcohol on club property in the presence of potential punches, they are free to serve alcoholic beverages if they hold their functions elsewhere.

"The punch is pretty much off of club property," says Douglas W. Sears '69, executive director of the Interclub Graduate Council.

Two other major international fraternities, Phi Delta Theta and Sigma Nu, instituted policies prohibiting alcohol from their houses in March.

Eric D. Hoopingarner, a first-year pledging the Sigma Nu chapter at MIT, said he has not seen any alcohol at the fraternity house.

"I haven't even felt any pressure [to drink]," he said. "I don't drink period, so it hasn't been a problem for me."

Hoopingarner said the fraternity's alcohol policy was not a factor in his decision to pledge.

But Martin said some members of Phi Gamma Delta are angry that the rules have been stiffened and have sent letters and e-mails to the organization's governing board.

"It does represent a change from the way most fraternity chapters today operate," he said. "Our chapters are concerned about the competitive position that it will put them in."

"At the same time, there are other chapters that recognize that we have to do something in the fraternity system both to change our image and to diminish the influ- influence that alcohol has on fraternity life," Martin added.

But as the fraternity hastened to tighten its alcohol ploicy in the wake of the tragedy, new evidence shows that the university ignored warnings about serious alcohol abuse problems on campus.

A university committee composed of students, faculty and administrators criticized MIT six years ago for lax enforcement of its existing alcohol policy. The committee particularly targeted drink at MIT fraternities.

"There is a problem with alcohol that must be addressed on this campus," the committee reported. "Substantial evidence indicates that the safety of community members is routinely and consistently jeopardized by the use of alcohol."

Committee members accused the MIT administration of ignoring or weakening all their recommedandations.

Earlier this week, MIT president Charles Vest acknowledged that the school's response had been "inadequate."

-Material from the Associated Press was used in compiling this report