Women's Soccer Heads South for Two Games

By Amy E. Ooten, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Harvard women's soccer team (4-2-1, 1-1 Ivy) has nothing to lose this weekend.

Taking on the role as underdog for the first time this season, it will meet not one, but two of the premier women's soccer programs in the nation-No. 11 George Mason (6-1-3) and No. 14 Maryland (6-1-2).

"We are pumped up and ready to go," said sophomore back Brynne Zuccaro. "We want to forge ahead."

Ending its 22 game unbeaten Ivy League streak with a tough 3-2 loss at the hands of Yale last weekend, Harvard will encounter extremely stiff competition from both Maryland and George Mason.

Harvard has met Maryland only once before-a 0-0 tie in 1985-and George Mason only twice. The most recent collision with George Mason ended in a disappointing 4-0 loss for Harvard in 1993. The Crimson is searching for more positive outcomes this time around.

"We can play with any of these teams," said captain Rebe Glass. "We are looking forward to this great opportunity to see what else is out there beyond our region. Playing against some of the best teams in the nation is a great experience."

A good performance against these two teams could boost Harvard's season and improve its chances for postseason play. Unless Harvard wins the Ivy League-which is still a very possible achievement-it will need an impressive showing in out-of-league play to receive an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.

Unfortunately, this weekend Harvard may have to play without Glass, one of its strongest defensive players. After spraining her ankle en route to a 1-0 victory over Columbia on September 19, she only played in one half of the Yale game and has not practiced since.

During practice this week, the Crimson concentrated on picking up the intensity and working on unity, especially in the defense.

"Our talent, heart and desire are still there," Zuccaro said. "Although things haven't gone our way lately, we feel we have complete control over our destiny."

After holding the No. 13 ranking last week, Harvard dropped out of the Top 25 rankings this week after two frustrating overtime results: a one-sided tie against Boston College and the loss to Yale.

Despite dominating ball control in the Yale game, the Crimson just could not finish its scoring opportunities.

"We have had good opportunities and chances. This weekend will be a good test," Zuccaro said.

With a solid-and winning-performance this weekend, Harvard can hopefully regain its momentum and prove it deserves a top ranking among the most elite teams in the nation.