Men's Soccer Rolls, 2-0

Williams given fifth yellow card, faces suspension

By Katherine E. Wagner, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Things are finally falling into place for the Harvard men's soccer team, and the timing couldn't be any better.

At Fairfield, Connecticut yesterday, the Crimson continued its streak of powerful and effective play en route to capturing a 2-0 victory against the Stags (6-8-3).

The win was a crucial one for Harvard (6-4-3, 2-1-2 Ivy), which has been unbeaten in its last five contests, including a 2-2 tie against Ivy rival Cornell in Ithaca.

"It was a good victory because it gave us momentum that we hope to carry into our pivotal Ivy League match Sunday against first-place Dartmouth," said freshman midfielder Ryan Kelly.

The two teams fought a close battle throughout the first half of the contest. Neither team, however, was able to capitalize on scoring opportunities. At the end of 45 minutes of play the score remained standing at 0-0.

Harvard, however, was quite unwilling to settle for a tie.

Less than 10 minutes into the second half, Ricky Le crossed the ball to Will Hench, whose diving header netted the Crimson's first goal of the day.

This single goal proved to be sufficient for the victory, but Harvard was not finished.

With only eight minutes remaining in the match, captain Tom McLaughlin secured the victory with Harvard's second goal of the game.

With the score set firmly at 2-0, Harvard cruised easily to victory.

For a team that earlier in the season had been plagued by an inability to score, this win added to the rising proof that those days appear to be a mere memory.

Outshooting its opponents 15-7, the Crimson took the chances necessary to score goals.

"In the first half we actually seemed to possess the ball more," Kelly said. "But in the second we capitalized on our opportunities better."

The shutout was earned by goaltender Jordan Dupuis, whose solid play ensured the Crimson's win.

The excitement of the victory, however, could not be fully enjoyed.

During the contest, junior defenseman Lee Williams was called on a tackle and given a yellow card--his fifth yellow card of the season.

Consequently, he will not be allowed to play in Sunday's game against Dartmouth.

"He's our starting sweeper and that is a huge loss for us," Kelly said. "Hopefully, we'll be able to come together and pick up the slack for Lee, but he is pretty much our leader in the back so it will have an effect on our game."

This incident is extremely inopportune for the Crimson. Dartmouth is a formidable opponent, and Sunday's contest is, perhaps, the most important game of the season.

To be in contention for the Ivy League championship, Harvard needs to win Sunday's game. If the team succeeds, and if Dartmouth ties or loses one of its remaining matches, the Crimson will win the Ivy title.

Winning the Ivy League championship would also propel Harvard into the NCAA playoffs--the Ivy champion receives an automatic berth.

Playing with the intense speed, skill and unified team strategy that has been demonstrated in its most recent games, the Crimson should be a significant challenge for Dartmouth on Sunday. HARVARD  2 FAIRFIELD  0

HARVARD, 2-0 at Fairfield, Conn. Harvard  0  2  --  2 Fairfield  0  0  --  0

Scoring

Har--Hench (Le) 54:44.

Har--McLaughlin (Keeton, Cantagallo) 82:17.

Saves: Har--Dupuis 3; Fair--Sheckley 4, Wallace 2.

Scoring

Har--Hench (Le) 54:44.

Scoring

Har--Hench (Le) 54:44.