Panelists Say Students Should Help Community

By Rachel P. Kovner, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Cambridge City Councillor Anthony D. Galluccio and Cambridge Chamber of Commerce President Gerry Oldach urged Harvard students to get more involved in the local community during a panel discussion held in Emerson Hall last night.

"You are absolutely missing the opportunity of your life if you don't get involved in Cambridge politics," Galluccio said.

Galluccio, Oldach and the third panelist, Jacqueline A. O'Neill, staff director for President Neil L. Rudenstine, stressed the connection between the Harvard and Cambridge communities.

"Even though historically there has been a boundary between the City of Cambridge and Harvard, I view that boundary as being blurred," O'Neill said. "There is no us versus them."

O'Neill said that Harvard already makes extensive contributions to the Cambridge community. She cited Harvard's financial support to the area and the involvement of community service groups such as the Phillips Brooks House Association and Peace Games as evidence of Harvard involvement.

Galluccio said that there is still significant scope for greater involvement by the University and its students.

"I don't think kids growing up in Cambridge today feel a sense of the presence of Harvard," Galluccio said. "I'm challenging Harvard to have more social responsibility."

Oldach said that community involvement is also a way for students to "round out their educations."

According to Galluccio, the Administration should teach students about Cambridge's history and culture during first-year orientation week.

Students, he said, probably share his goal of friendlier relations between the school and the surrounding community but lack the information necessary to make improved relations a reality.

Some students said they agreed with Galluccio's idea of teaching Harvard first-years more about Cambridge.

"I thought it was very exciting, because there are just a couple little changes that need to be made," Sara E.B. Schwartz '99 said. "It's so simple, and then people will get involved."

Galluccio also praised Harvard students' coverage of local events.

"In my opinion The Crimson does a better job of covering politics than any other paper in the city," he said.

Over 30 people attended the panel which was part of the Institute of Politics' "Pizza and Politics" program.