Make Harvard Fair: Include Daughters

TO THE EDITORS

Permit me to lay before the class of '97 the same suggestion I presented to the two preceding graduating classes about what to do at Commencement about "Fair Harvard," which speaks only of "thy sons" when half of those graduating are daughters.

Of the very many suggestions that have been put forth, the one that is simple, uncomplicated, and practical is from graduating women and their families and guests to substitute "daughters in" for "sons to thy," while graduating men and their families and guests sing the song as originally written.

"Fair Harvard, the daughters in jubilee throng." The two versions are sung simultaneously. The divergence of three syllables takes no more than two seconds, beat and meter match perfectly, and the song goes on. The two versions unite like a marriage, not jarring the ears like the dozens of other suggestions.

If this makes sense to you, just do it. No doubt the number singing the new words will increase year by year, as more and more students hear of it. It does not need a committee. And it makes Fair Harvard fair. Otherwise, they would be Unfair Harvard. --Myron S. Kaufmann '43, Sharon, Mass.