Kudos to Russell On Super Search

By The CRIMSON Staff

We applaud Cambridge Mayor Sheila Russell for her recent decision to include the community in the search process for a new superintendent of schools. We believe that the voices of those who will be affected by the choice will be particularly instructive, and we are thrilled to see the Mayor encouraging greater civic involvement.

As concerned citizens of the community, we would like to delineate briefly some qualifications we believe are central to the position of superintendent.

The Cambridge school district includes a significant percentage of minority students. As such, we would like to encourage the search committee to take seriously its commitment to diversity and to consider the make-up of its constituency by actively recruiting minority applicants.

Furthermore, we would love to see a progressive-minded, efficient, imaginative and responsive person filling the role of superintendent. Cambridge schools are in dire need of creativity and organization; someone who could breathe excitement into the schools while balancing multiple needs within a limited budget would represent the ideal combination of talents.

We hope that the outcome of the search does merit to the openness of the process.