Mendelsohn Is New Dudley Master

By Robert J. Coolbrith

This June, Professor of the History of Science Everett I. Mendelsohn will begin a three-year term as the new master of Dudley House. His wife Mary B. Anderson, an economic development consultant, will join him as co-master of the house.

Mendelsohn, who received his doctorate from Harvard in 1960, replaces current Master Daniel S. Fisher, professor of physics. Fisher said that while he enjoyed his time at the house, he is glad to return his full attention to his students, family and research and is excited by the prospects for Mendelsohn's term.

"He's very involved with students," Fisher said. "He knows an enormous number of people and is involved with a great number of activities. I'm extremely happy that he agreed to take on the job."

Thomas A. Dingman '67, senior tutor of Dudley House and an associate dean of the College, said he looks forward to working with Mendelsohn.

"We're elated. He is a well-regarded senior member of the faculty," he said. "We recently had a tea for the new masters, and we all left with a good feeling about their upcoming term."

Mendelsohn said he does not yet have any specific plans for his time as master. According to Mendelsohn, the house has flourished as a center for student life during Fisher's term, due in part to the fact that students have taken the lead in initiating activities and events.

"If I have one plan, it is to listen carefully to initiatives from students," Mendelsohn said.

Though Mendelsohn said student involvement in the house has increased, he says he still sees room for improvement.

"The degree of graduate student involvement in the house has gone up steadily," Fisher said. "It's important to keep opportunities open, create new opportunities and make sure that students know what opportunities are available to them."

Prior to accepting the new post, Mendelsohn was an associate of Currier House and had worked as director of graduate studies in the History of Science department. Mendelsohn boasts a variety of other professional and personal associations that qualify him for the position.

Mendelsohn founded the American Academy of Arts and Sciences Committee on Science, Arms Control and National Security. He is also chair of the Academy's Middle East Program.

Mendelsohn says he believes that these involvements and his wife's work as an international consultant will help them relate to the large number of international students affiliated with the house.

Additionally, Mendelsohn was a graduate student at Harvard during the 1950s and participated in cooperative living groups as an undergraduate at Antioch College in Ohio. Mendelsohn said these experiences also will help him relate to the diverse groups of students affiliated with Dudley.

"During my time, grad students had to make their way on their own. If a student center like Dudley House had existed, graduate students certainly would have taken advantage of it," Mendelsohn said.

Unlike all other house masters, the Dudley House masters do not reside within the house. The Master is responsible for general oversight of the house, selection of tutors and graduate fellows and participates regularly in student activities and events