American History Expert to Take Post At Notre Dame

By Melissa ROSE Langsam

John T. McGreevy, Dunwalke associate professor of American History, is living Paul Simon's dream: He is homeward bound. The historian will return to his alma mater, Notre Dame, for a tenured position this fall.

Notre Dame created a position expressly for McGreevy. Thomas Kselman, acting chair of the history department at Notre Dame, said that McGreevy is "probably the most prominent of young historians with an interest in Catholicism. He is a good fit with our department."

Kselman said that McGreevy has integrated the history of American Catholics with the history of America in general.

"I think that's the way Catholic history ought to go," Kselman said.

McGreevy's 1996 book about Catholics and race relations, Parish Boundaries, won the American Catholic Historical Association's Shea Award. The historian will "continue the strong tradition of American religious and Catholic history at Notre Dame," Kselman said.

At Notre Dame, McGreevy will continue his historical work solely within the history department. Over his four years at Harvard, McGreevy has divided his time between the history and history and literature departments. "I'll miss both history and history and Literature a lot," McGreevy said.

"Harvard's a great place, and a great place to teach, but the Notre Dame offer was too good to pass up," McGreevy said.

Donald Fleming, Trumbull professor of American history concurred.

"It's a great opportunity for [McGreevy]," he said. At the same time, students said McGreevy's leaving is a loss for Harvard students.

"[McGreevy] is one of the most wonderful teachers at Harvard. He is interested in the material and the people he's teaching. He's a wonderful person," said Sara A. Siris '99 who took History 71b: "Modern America, 1865-Present," with McGreevy last year.

In an e-mail message, William E. Gienapp, a professor of American history described McGreevy and Ellen Fitzpatrick, another associate professor in history who is leaving Harvard, as "terrific colleagues."

"They were wonderful teachers, brought a lot of enthusiasm to their work, maintained high standards, and were constructive participants in the affairs of the Department," Gienapp said.

Gienapp said he is sorry that both scholars will be leaving Harvard next year, but he said he is not worried about the state of the American history program at Harvard.

Lisabeth Cohen, whom Gienapp wrote is "one of the top 20th century historians in the country--the absolute best of her cohort," will join the Harvard faculty in the fall. She will "fill some of the gap left by [McGreevy and Fitzpatrick's departures]."

According to Gienapp, the history department will also add another two scholars to its Faculty in the fall, Kristin Hoaganson, who teaches late 19th and early 20th century American history, and Lisa McGirr, who has been a lecturer at Harvard teaching 20th century American history.

William C. Kirby, chair of the history department, promises "four Americanists will be joining the department's regular Faculty. In addition, we will have with us two distinguished visiting professors. And still more appointments will follow. American history is, quite simply, the department's highest priority."