Registration Housing Questioned

Despite student complaints, College resists changes

By Andrew S. Chang, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite fielding numerous complaints from students forced to move twice in one week, University Hall administrators say they need more information before deciding whether to give upperclass students more time to move into the houses next fall.

This fall, houses opened to upperclass students on the Wednesday before upperclass registration. In the past four years, the houses had opened several days earlier, at the beginning of Orientation Week.

"We are aware of the hardships [the late move-in date] created for students and their families," said Associate Dean of the College for Human Resources and the House System Thomas A. Dingman '67.

"If it were my decision alone, I would like to see greater flexibility [for students to move in early]," Dingman said, adding that he has not yet received feedback from House masters and superintendents about this fall's move-in.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said that the move-in question "will be reviewed by several committees," including the Committee on House Life.

"We have to weigh the inconvenience of opening earlier against the hardships created for some families and for staff," Dingman said.

Students with reasons for returning to Harvard early were allowed to apply for temporary housing during the week prior the scheduled move-in date of Sept. 10.

About 1,600 students--mostly members of student organizations and athletic teams--were granted temporary housing in Mather, Dunster, Leverett, Cabot and Pforzheimer Houses. And Dingman said that some student requests for temporary housing were denied.

Administrators acknowledged that they underestimated the number of students with legitimate reasons for returning early to campus.

"I think the numbers of students needing early housing were larger than we expected," Epps said, noting that more students returned early to perform educational and advising roles than in the past.

The move-in policy was changed last spring at the request of House masters who complained that students had too much idle time before the start of classes and requested more time to train House staff, according to Epps.

"There was concern among some masters that there was a lot of unruly behavior during the week before the term began," Epps said.

But some masters yesterday said they believe that parties in the Houses at the start of the school year are inevitable, regardless of the move-in date.

"There were still parties [this year] almost immediately" after students arrived on campus, said Leigh G. Hafrey, co-master of Mather House. "Frankly, that kind of exuberance is fine and is to be expected."

The early arrival policy created a particularly chaotic situation last Wednesday morning, the first day of move-in. Early arrival students were forced out of temporary housing assignments by 8 a.m., but permanent fall housing assignments were not opened until 9 a.m., leaving hundreds of students stranded with their belongings outdoors during a persistent drizzle.

"We were moving 1,600 people out and 1,600 people in at the same time," Dingman said.

Administrators also acknowledged that the late move-in date caused transportation problems for many students who had to be back by Friday to register.

"We heard from a number of families who found traveling off the weekend difficult," Dingman said.

Dingman and Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 credited the House superintendents and staff for facilitating the move-in process.

"It was very hectic," said Leverett House Superintendent Matt P. Stec. "I think we had about 300 people here the first day [of move-in]."

Stec said he sympathizes with Leverett students who were assigned temporary housing elsewhere