Wrestling Tackles Kutztown, Army, B.C.

* Harvard creams all three opponents at quad meet

By Bryan Lee, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Harvard wrestling team can think happy thoughts during reading period, which makes studying for exams that much easier.

The Crimson thumped Army, Kutztown and Boston College at home this weekend. The result helped erase the disappointment over the tournament in Michigan over winter break.

Although it is somewhat distressing that Harvard could beat future American officers in hand-to-hand combat, the Crimson started off with a convincing 27-12 win over Army.

"It was great coming off a less than stellar performance out in central Michigan," said captain Dustin DeNunzio.

"It would have been disappointing if we had lost," said junior Ed Mosley. "If we all perform our best, we can wrestle with anyone in the country."

DeNunzio won his 134-pound match, 8-3, and Harvard also won in the 118, 126, 158, 167, 177 and 190 pound classes.

"It was all the way up the line," DeNunzio said. "We started up strong in the 118 and 126-pound weight classes, but everybody gave a good performance."

Boston and Kutztown provided lesser challenges, and Harvard seized the opportunity to get its alternates some match experience.

"It was great to see them out there, because a lot of the time our second string wrestlers don't get to wrestle as much," DeNunzio said.

The Crimson beat Kutztown, whose most famous alum is Denver Broncos' linebacker John Mobley, 19-6 with wins in the 126, 134, 142, 150 and 158 classes.

Sophomores Tom Kiler and Kevin Kurtz bounced back from opening-round losses, and freshman Matt Picarsic won his second match of the weekend.

Boston College then played possum for Harvard, as the Crimson destroyed the Golden Eagles 41-6. Senior James Butera won in 118 for the second time, Picarsic moved up to 134 and got the same result, and Kiler, Kurtz and Ackerman won again.

Although the 3-0 weekend helps to wipe the bad taste of the Michigan trip, Harvard eyes much loftier goals.

"The team is set on course for what we want to do this year, which is to end up with a strong performance at the end of the year," DeNunzio said. "Everything up until then is a building point. After exams we're going to start with our Ivy League competition."

"We didn't expect anything different," Mosley said. "We expected a different out come last week, not this week. We're on our way to being where we want to be. Obviously good for us, but I think that in the long run, it's really just a stepping stone."

The team does not face any more competition until after intersession. Exams neccessitate a more individualistic practice schedule to make sure that no one gets rusty.

"We go one on one with the coaches, go over videos and find out the weak points in each of our wrestling," DeNunzio said.

And when they do get back, expect Mosley's sentiment to remain.

"We do expect to beat almost everyone we wrestle this year."