Football Grinds Cornell Into Mud

RB Menick's big day leads Harvard to first victory

Finally.

After three weeks of poor play and disappointment, the Harvard football team has done what came so easily to last year's team--win a game.

The Crimson (1-3, 1-1 Ivy) won its first game of the season Saturday, defeating the Big Red of Cornell (2-2, 0-2), 19-12 at a muddy, rain-soaked Harvard Stadium. CORNELL  12 HARVARD  19

"Its just total elation right now," said junior tailback Chris Menick. "We knew we had it in us, it was just a matter of doing it."

In recapturing its winning ways, Harvard also returned to last year's formula--pound the ball through the line with Menick and dominate on defense.

Menick bore almost the entire offensive burden, carrying the ball 39 times for 176 yards. After a disappointing game last week against Lehigh, he finally displayed last year's form.

Those 39 rushes nearly broke the Harvard record of 42, set by Menick against Princeton last year. He also moved into third place on Harvard's all-time rushing list.

"Our offensive line just dominated today," Menick said. "They played with so much heart, I just followed them."

The defense meanwhile limited last week's Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week, senior quarterback Mike Hood, to nine completions on 22 attempts. The line pressured Hood all game, sacking him twice and forcing him to flee the pocket on many occasions.

"We had to play a little harder," said captain Brendan Bibro. "[Hood] is a great athlete and we just had to keep after him."

The defense also forced four turnovers, intercepting Hood three times and recovering a fumble by half-back Deon Harris.

One of those interceptions became the key point of the game.

After Harvard missed a field goal that would have given it a 12-6 lead, Hood began to lead his team downfield.

On first-and-10 from the Cornell 35, Hood rolled right and launched a five-yard pass that junior safety Aron Natale tipped up. Senior cornerback Glenn Jackson caught the loose ball and took it down the left sideline for a touchdown, giving Harvard a 16-6 lead.

The 10-point advantage did not last one play.

The ensuing kickoff went to Big Red junior Justin Bush. Bush took it up the left sideline and cut back to the middle at the Cornell 40-yard line and went all the way for an 87-yard return.

"[After the return] we had to just play our game and stick to the game plan," Bibro said. "We could not let that bother us."

The Crimson defense quickly regrouped and made that narrow lead hold up.

Junior linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski stopped one of the Big Red's final drives allby himself.

Cornell drove the ball to Harvard's 30-yardline. On first down, Kacyvenski stuffed Harris atthe line. He again brought down Harris on seconddown for just a two-yard gain. Bush ran left forfour yards on the next play. Kacyvenski finishedthe drive by batting down Hood's pass onfourth-and-3.

"I just had to get the next couple of plays,"Kacyvenski said. "We had to get out of thesituation we were in."

Kacyvenski had an outstanding game for Harvard.In addition to that series, he made a beautifulinterception late in the third quarter. At theCornell 28, Hood threw a five-yard out right atKacyvenski. He tripped in trying to make thecatch, but grabbed the ball as he was fallingdown.

"The ball just slipped out of [Hood's] hands,"Kacyvenski said. "I just happened to be there atthe right place and the right time."

Junior John Patton gave Harvard its margin ofvictory with a 26-yard field goal at 9:39 of thefourth quarter. Senior wideout Terence Pattersonset up the kick with the second of two almostidentical reverses he ran on Saturday, taking theball to the eight-yard line.

"It was a one-score game going down to the lastdrive," Cornell Coach Pete Mangurian said."[Harvard] made plays and we didn't."

The Crimson got on the board on its seconddrive of the game.

On the first three plays of the drive, Menickrushed for four, five and three yardsrespectively. Linden again gave Menick the ball onfirst down, this time on a reverse play. Pattersonreceived the ball from Menick and took it 60 yardsdown the right sideline for Harvard's firsttouchdown.

"On a real wet day it's tough to put the brakeson," said Harvard Coach Tim Murphy. "They have avery aggressive defense and in the weather [thereverse] is that much better."

Patton missed the point-after wide right,leaving Harvard ahead 6-3. He would, however,connect on a 26-yard field goal in the thirdquarter.

Cornell opened the scoring on its secondpossession of the game, marching 80 yards in 11plays to set up a 23-yard field goal by juniorJohn McCombs. McCombs also boomed a 40-yarder at8:09 of the second quarter.

The weather conditions grossly limited the airattack for both teams. Linden only attempted 12passes, connecting on four to gain a mere 49yards. Linden did however, loft a 40-yard passinto Patterson's hands on a middle slant.Patterson, five yards behind that last defender,dropped the sure touchdown.

After a huge game against Buffalo the previousweek, Hood could only manage 64 passing yards. Hedid, however, prove adept at eluding the Crimsonrush. He spun out of a few Crimson tackles andfinished the game with 48 yards on the ground,nearly matching his passing numbers.

"A couple of times we thought we had [Hood]wrapped up," Bibro said. "Then he spins out and wehad to chase him another 40 yards."

Moreover, the rain made the ball extremelyslippery. Harvard fumbled the ball six times,losing it twice, and Cornell coughed it up fivetimes. Both teams had particular difficulty withthe center-quarterback exchange.

The wet ball hurt Harvard at the end of thefirst half. With the score tied 6-6, Lindenfumbled the snap on fourth and one from theCornell 27, effectively ending the drive.

"By the third quarter there was huge puddle ofslush all over the place," Menick said. "It wasreal tough out there."

The weather made it even more surprising thatboth teams ran the ball so effectively. Led byMenick's 176 yards, the Crimson gained 290 yardson the ground. The Big Red netted 225 rushingyards. The Crimson offensive line was especiallyimpressive at providing running lanes for Menick.

"The conditions gave us an opportunity to finda little bit of our identity," Murphy said. "Thekids played so hard and aggressive today."

The only major downside to Harvard's play wasthe continual poor performance of the specialteams. Though Patton connected twice on fieldgoals, he also missed a 25-yard attempt. Freshmanpunter Jesse Milligan averaged 26.3 yards per puntwith a long of 35 yards, always leaving Cornellwith good field position. Of course, the Crimsongave up the kickoff return for a touchdown.

Still, the Crimson finally displayed thetoughness and intensity that it showed last year.Menick had by far his best game of the season. Thedefense made sure that every Crimson pointcounted.

Despite its slow start, Harvard is still in therunning to repeat as champion. After Saturday,only Princeton remains undefeated in the IvyLeague.

"The Ivy League has so many close games,"Murphy said. "We need to scratch and claw our wayfor every win."

Saturday Harvard scratched, clawed and rolledaround in the mud for its first victory of theseason.

Finally.

HARVARD, 19-12 at Harvard Stadium

Cornell  3  3  6  0  --  12Harvard  6  0  10  3  --  19

First Quarter

Cor--McCombs, 23 FG, 5:24.

Har--Patterson, 60 rush (Patton kick failed),3.46.

Second Quarter

Cor--McCombs, 40 FG, 8:09.

Third Quarter

Har--Patton, 21 FG, 11:15.

Har--Jackson, 41 INT return (Patton kick),3:21.

Cor--Bush, 87 kick return (Nunes pass receptionfailed), 3:01.

Fourth Quarter

Har--Patton, 26 FG, 9:39.

Rushing: Cor--Bush 9-95, Harris 22-82,Hood 11-48, TOTAL 42-225; Har--Menick 39-176,Patterson 2-74, Nwokocha 3-20, Linden 11-16,Shreve 0-6, Wilske 1-(-2), TOTAL 56-290.

Passing: Cor--Hood 22-9-3 (64);Har--Linden 12-4-0 (49).

Receiving: Cor--Buray 2-19, Bush 2-8,Splendorio 2-17, Moresco 1-6, Byrne 1-14, Harris1-0, TOTAL 9-64; Har--Patterson 2-30, Nwokocha1-11, Wilske 1-8, TOTAL 4-49.

Interceptions: Har--Kacyvenski 0,Svicarovich 9, Jackson 41.

FG Missed: Cor--Patton 25.

Time of Possession: Cor--29:19,Har--30:41.

Attendance: 8,150.CrimsonSeth H. Perlman

Finally.

HARVARD, 19-12 at Harvard Stadium

First Quarter

Cor--McCombs, 23 FG, 5:24.

Second Quarter

Cor--McCombs, 40 FG, 8:09.

Third Quarter

Har--Patton, 21 FG, 11:15.

Fourth Quarter

Har--Patton, 26 FG, 9:39.

FG Missed: Cor--Patton 25.