Simply Smashing

JUDY E. COLLINS '99

By Eduardo Perez-giz

Emily Stauffer and Naomi Miller each scored two goals this weekend, Armando Petruccelli notched a goal and an assist, Melissa Forcum recorded her 1,000th career kill and Chris Menick amassed 167 rushing yards.

It was a good week for Harvard athletes.

It was an historic week for Judy Collins.

In the 17th minute of last Tuesday's game versus UNH, the Harvard field hockey co-captain swept a shot into the Wildcats' goal and etched her name into the Harvard record books.

The tally gave Collins 79 points and made her Harvard's career scoring leader. She added another goal in the second half against UNH, and this weekend she scorched Providence for three more goals and an assist. She also had an assist on Harvard's only goal in a 1-0 victory over Boston College.

Collins now has career totals of 37 goals and 15 assists for 89 points. More importantly, Harvard won all of these contests and is now on a five-game winning streak after starting the season 2-5.

With a landmark performance and a triumphant series of encores, the seemingly unstoppable Collins has her team tearing through its opponents.

In a week filled with Harvard stars, Judy Collins shined brightest and helped make The Crimson's decision for Athlete of the Week a simple one.