Capuano Keeps It Lively

By Robert K. Silverman, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Michael Capuano, mayor of Somerville and Democratic nominee for the 8th District's Congressional seat, exhibited his brash, in-your-face politics and fierce commitment to constituents last night in a speech to about 50 undergraduates in Boylston Hall's Ticknor Lounge.

"Judge me on my actions," Capuano challenged the audience.

"I believe politics is in the streets. I never took a [political science] course as an undergrad," he said. "I'm still a street kid. If you want to cross the line, go ahead. I'm ready."

Capuano is coming off a hard-fought primary election, with more than 10 candidates vying for the seat formerly held by John F. Kennedy '40 and recently relinquished by Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II (D-Brighton). Given the Democratic Party's lock on the seat in past decades, Capuano is virtually assured of a win on Nov. 3.

Capuano said he is convinced that his frank style and local appeal overcame stronger name recognition--former Boston mayor and ambassador to the Vatican Raymond L. Flynn was a candidate--and deeper pockets in the party primary.

"I spent $500,000. Some of my opponents spent ten times that," he said. "Yes, the Somerville base helped, but that's not how we won. We won because we cared."

Rebecca C. Hardiman '01, coordinator for the IOP's Pizza and Politics program, which sponsored Capuano's visit, said she agreed that Capuano's style distinguished him from the other candidates.

"I like what he stands for, and I like his style. That's what got him elected. In a huge field of candidates with good policies, that's what made him stand out," she said.

A lawyer by training, Capuano warned his audience not to run for office for the wrong reasons.

"There's no glamor in politics," he said. "If you want to make money, go be a lawyer. If you want a title, work for a bank. You can be a vice president of something tomorrow."

Capuano said he loves the political process. "I'm an animal. I love this stuff. I'm sick," he said.

Throughout his political career, Capuano has cultivated a close relationship with his constituents. Strong local support forms the core of Capuano's political philosophy.

As a result, Capuano said sound-bites and TV ads don't interest him.

"When you go door to door, people aren't interested in bumper stickers. Try to express a thoughtful idea in 30 seconds. Try it," he said.

Capuano said he is not sure how he will continue to foster a close relationship with his constituents, now that his office will be in Washington, not Somerville.

"I'm not moving to Washington," he said. "I'm just getting an apartment."

Capuano also stressed that he will work with his colleagues from Massachusetts and New England to achieve the best results for his district.

"I'm going down as a member of a team," he said.

The candidate also spoke about several issues prominent on the national scene.

Although he said he favors campaign finance reform, Capuano said he opposes the current proposal because it does not limit the spending of a candidate's private resources.

"Philosophically, I agree with the premise. But I'm a very pragmatic guy, he said. "Fundraising stinks, but it's a necessary part of life."

Capuano was quick to add that contributions do not change his policies.

"What money buys is a quick phone call back. Maybe. It doesn't change my mind," he said.

"People write me $3 checks, but that means more to me than some $1,000 contributions. I look for supporters," he added.

Capuano's commitment to his supporters and his ideals stems from his initial entry into politics, he said.

While he said there was no defining moment that shaped his career plans, the Vietnam War and the activism of his generation inspired him. According to Capuano, however, this idealism has faded.

"My generation has been a disappointment to me," he said. "They decided Wall Street was more important. They lied to themselves."

Capuano also commented on the current gubernatorial race, focusing on the feisty Monday night debate between A. Paul Cellucci and L. Scott Harshbarger '54.

"When I debate, I want you to get angry, I want you to lose your cool. When you do, you look like a fool. Unfortunately, that happened to both candidates last night," he said.

Capuano's aggressive, honest style appealed to many in the audience.

"He believes what he believes, to hell with it if it's unpopular or not what he should be doing," said David A. Hopkins '99. "He's calling the shots, and you don't often see that."