Program to Make Financial Aid More Web Accessible

By Vicky C. Hallett, CONTRIBUTING WRITERS

A new Web site expected to be launched later this year would allow students on federal financial aid to replace envelopes and stamps with a browser by putting aid applications on the Web, eliminating mailing time and removing paperwork from the application process.

The National Partnership for Reinventing Government, an offshoot of the office of Vice President Al Gore '69, has asked 13 colleges to join in the pilot program, which is slated to begin shortly after Thanksgiving but will not include Harvard.

"Access America for Students" would provide students at member institutions with individual Web accounts, through which students could apply for financial aid, be notified of eligibility, pay tuition bills, pick courses, purchase textbooks, file tax returns and learn about employment opportunities, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Though Harvard was not offered a place in the experimental program, up to 50 schools may participate with Access America for Students pending the results of the initial trials.

New York University (NYU), a prospective pilot school, will discuss whether to join the program at meeting next Tuesday. Financial Aid Director Keith Jepsen said he supports the Web site.

"There are some important possible benefits to students," Jepsen said. "It's very intriguing, but we have a lot of questions."

A significant advantage of the site is that students will not have to handle any paper, he said. Currently, only a form is on-line, which students must print out, sign and mail.

James S. Miller, director of financial aid at Harvard, said he supports the idea of a main Web site for students on financial aid because of the potential for consolidating information from many sources.

"I think that would be great," he said. "Anything that would provide more information would be better than the current system."

Students on financial aid said the idea is appealing.

"Being as Web-dependent as I am, I think that initiating the administration of funds over the Web would make life easier and encourage students to take responsibility for their finances," said Devarati Ghosh '99.

Web access would allow students to "get a lot of things accomplished in less time," said Keith E. Bernard '99. "I would definitely use it," he said.

Some students, however, said they wondered about the security of the site.

"I don't know a lot about the encryption codes so I don't know whether security would be a concern of mine," said Peter R. Santina '02. "Privacy is a concern of mine. I think I'd like to find out more about the security first [before deciding whether I would like to see it at Harvard]," he said.

Other students say they have more faith in technology to prevent security problems.

"Considering the growing number of Web-based businesses--Amazon.com and CD Now--and fellowship programs and grad schools you can apply to online, even handling finances on the Web wouldn't be worrisome," Ghosh said.