NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

Red Wings Dry Out Oilers; Washington Deleafs Toronto

EDMONTON, Alberta - Steve Yzerman had two goals and an assist to lead the Detroit Red Wings to a 6-2 victory over the Edmonton Oilers last night.

Yzerman, Aaron Ward and Vyacheslav Kozlov scored in the first period and the Red Wings, who had lost two straight, never looked back.

Yzerman, Martin Lapointe and Sergei Federov completed the scoring for Detroit in the third.

Defenseman Larry Murphy had three assists for the Red Wings, who complete their three-game Western road trip Saturday night in Vancouver.

Rem Murray and Tom Poti scored for the Oilers.

Yzerman scored on a slap shot from well out 48 seconds into the game, following a rush up the left side. Ward managed his first point of the season with another slap shot from well out, along the right boards, at 5:46.

Murray made it 2-1 a minute later, with an excellent second effort from close range.

Kozlov restored the two-goal lead on a power play at 15:54. He scored from in close as goaltender Bob Essensa flopped.

After Lapointe, Yzerman and Fedorov scored just over eight minutes apart in the third, Poti scored his first NHL goal on a power play late in the game.

Detroit goalie Chris Osgood made 19 saves, while Essensa stopped 20 shots.

Oilers coach Ron Low tried to shake up his team by juggling two lines in the second period. But only the line of left wing Mats Lindgren, center Murray and right wing Pat Falloon showed any spark.

Capitals 4, Maple Leafs 1

WASHINGTON - Jan Bulis scored his first two goals of the season and assisted on another, leading the Washington Capitals to a 4-1 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs last night.

Bulis had missed Washington's first 13 games with an ankle injury, and this was only his third game and the first multi-goal effort of his career. The three points also were a career high.

He assisted Richard Zednik on the Capitals' first goal and scored the next two to complete Washington's three-goal second period. Zednik, who had one goal and one assist, was returning after missing the last 10 games with a bruised shoulder.

The victory ended Washington's seven-game home winless streak. The Capitals, who now have won two straight for the first time this season, went 0-5-2 after winning their home opener.

Coyotes 4, Canucks 2

PHOENIX - Rick Tocchet had a goal and two assists, and infrequent scorers Teppo Numminen, Brad Isbister and Dallas Drake netted goals as the Phoenix Coyotes beat Vancouver to run their unbeaten streak to nine games.

The Coyotes' third straight victory left them tied with idle Dallas for leadership of the Pacific Division. It also denied Canucks coach Mike Keenan his 500th career victory.

Jeremy Roenick had three assists and Keith Tkachuk two before Keenan pulled goaltender Garth Snow with 15:41 left in the game. Snow gave up four goals on 25 shots.

Undefeated Jimmy Waite (4-0-1) made 28 saves, allowing an early goal to Vancouver's Dave Scatchard and another with 3:54 left to play to Peter Zezel.