Age of Enlightenment

The College eases up on lamp policy by giving torchieres to first-years

The Class of 2001 is an exceptional and extraordinary class indeed--or, if they didn't arrive at Harvard that way a year ago, they certainly became one very shortly thereafter. After halogen lamps were banned in all Yard dormitories in September of 1997 (though still permitted in upperclass Houses), students found themselves faced with a simple choice. They could sit in the dark, eat large quantities of carrots or develop previously nonhuman powers of sonar detection and echolocation to get around their abysmally lit rooms.

Now, those newly-upgraded students have reached the light at the end of the tunnel; they and their elders live in beautiful Houses in the Quad and on the River, illuminated with both brilliant minds and brilliant halogen lamps which, as students 19 years old and above, they are mature enough to use responsibly.

For the Class of 2002, however, the administration has at last entered the Age of Enlightenment. Perhaps acknowledging that few creatures other than bats can echolocate and that the human body can absorb only limited quantities of non-water-soluble Vitamin A, Harvard is installing torchiere-style fluorescent lamps in Yard dorms so that eye-weary students will be able to see vague outlines of their furniture--and maybe even their schoolbooks.

The installation of fluorescent lamps in the Yard is a welcome change; in fact, it should have been done last year when the ban on halogen lamps was first announced. Yard residents need some means of illuminating their rooms, and the fluorescent lamps are also said to be energy efficient.

If the new lighting is as effective as it is purported to be, fluorescent lamps should be installed in all the Houses as soon as possible. After all, if the college provided adequate lighting, students wouldn't have to buy halogens in the first place. Until students offer their feedback on the forthcoming lamps, however, it may be too early to celebrate--and still unrealistic to ban halogen lamps.

The lighting in our buildings is, as a rule, universally poor, and the risk of fires from halogen lamps is fairly small. There has been only one fire at Harvard reportedly caused by a halogen. Halogens are only dangerous in the hands of the monumentally stupid: someone foolish or careless enough to dry sheets on a 900-degree lamp will find other ways to burn down the dorm.

For now, Harvard deserves our thanks for this much-needed change. We look forward to seeing our younger colleagues comfortably studying in their own well-lit rooms--and eating far fewer carrots.