New Representatives Attend KSG Conference

By Katrina ALICIA Garcia, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Newly elected members of the 106th Congress are at the Kennedy School of Government (KSG) this weekend for a crash course on the issues they will confront on Capitol Hill.

Of the 38 new members of the House of Representatives, 30 are attending the conference sponsored by the Institute of Politics (IOP) and the Kennedy School.

The welcome dinner last night was hosted by KSG Dean Joseph S. Nye, President Neil L. Rudenstine and Alan K. Simpson, director of the IOP and a former Republican senator from Wyoming.

David S. Broder, a political columnist for The Washington Post, gave an opening address entitled "The State of American Politics."

Simpson said the program is beneficial because of the complexity of issues representatives encounter on the job.

"You go to Washington and put your hand in the air [to take the oath] with very little knowledge of what is ahead," Simpson said. "They expect you to know everything about everything, and you don't."

The representatives will have a busy three days as they attend panel discussions and workshops on a variety of subjects.

An impressive list of speakers has been assembled to teach the new representatives about everything from the federal budget to U.S. trade policy to relations between the White House and Congress.

Speakers from outside Harvard include Secretary of the Treasury Robert E. Rubin '60, Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen, Vice Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph W. Ralston and Secretary of Education Richard W. Riley.

In the past, Republicans have refused to attend the conference because of a perceived liberal bent and would only attend a program sponsored by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.

"It didn't have credibility 10 years ago. We couldn't get any Republicans to come," Simpson said.

But Simpson, a Republican himself, said this reputation is beginning to change.

"From President Rudenstine on down, a change that this is an academic institution that presents options, that presents the opposing side, that offers forums for opposing sides, this is what is education is about," he said.

But Simpson said there is no need for competition between Harvard's program and the Heritage Foundation con- ference.

"Several of these people are going to both ofthem, the 'conservative' program and the one atHarvard. That to me is a very important thing," hesaid.

Steven N.T. Kuykendall (R-Calif.) went to theHeritage program last week and is one of sixRepublican representatives-elect at Harvard'sprogram.

"[It] was the only way I was ever going to getto Harvard," he quipped, adding "it is a chance tospend some time with the other freshmen."

Students led by IOP members Joe Sanberg '01 andHannah Choi '01 are assisting with the program,preparing briefings on issues and providinglogistical support--from picking representativesup at the airport to escorting them to dinner.

They are also able to attend several of theworkshops and the program culminates with aclosing lunch for students and representatives