Silver Charm

JENNIFER BOTTERILL '02

By Zevi M. Gutfreund

With 5:41 remaining against then-No. 1 New Hampshire on Sunday, freshman forward Jen Botterill scored the goal that gave the Harvard women's hockey team its first-ever victory over the Wildcats, 3-2.

The game-winning goal demonstrated the playmaking ability Botterill developed with the Canadian Olympic Team in Nagano. Taking the puck in the left corner, she stickhandled into the post and found co-captain A.J. Mleczko in front of the goal. Mleczko fired on goal, and Botterill knocked the disc into the net.

That goal moved the Crimson into its current No. 1 ranking.

Botterill was dangerous from the corner the entire game. In the first period she gunned a pass from the boards to sophomore forward Tammy Shewchuk, who was wide open in front of the net and knocked the disc in from point-blank range.

The Crimson has been able to rely on the experienced rookie for scoring and passing all season. She has recorded 10 goals and 10 assists through eight games. Only four players in the ECAC have more total points, two of which are her linemates, Mleczko and Shewchuk. In four games together, Harvard's top line has combined for 17 goals and 24 assists.

The entire Harvard squad played well last weekend, converting 18 of its 91 shots into goals, but Botterill led the Crimson's attack. Her nifty stickwork against UNH came after she recorded her first collegiate hat trick with four goals against Colby on Saturday.

In a pivotal weekend for the Harvard women's hockey team, Jen Botterill rose to the occasion in clutch situations. For yet another impressive weekend, The Crimson is proud to name Botterill its Athlete of the Week.