City Park To Be Renovated

By Sasha A. Haines-stiles, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Students wondering why the popular recreation area near Mather House is closed may be happy to know that the city has only shut it down temporarily.

The Corporal Burns Playground, owned by the City of Cambridge, will be under renovation for upwards of a year, City Council members said yesterday.

The renovation is part of a citywide effort by the Community Development and Human Services and Recreation Departments to improve safety conditions and quality, said Councillor Michael A. Sullivan.

"Although asphalt courts are pretty well-maintained, we'll have a new design for more safety," Sullivan said. "It's an investment we're putting back into the space."

Sullivan said although he hasn't seen the final plans for the project, the design should also maximize use of the space. The playground's basketball and tennis courts, as well as other equipment, get worn down every five or ten years due to normal use, he said.

According to Sullivan, the last major citywide renovation occurred about 10 years ago.

Sullivan said he hopes Harvard gets involved in the renovation in some capacity, since the playground is so close to College residencies. "It could help both financially, sure, but it could also contribute the expertise that exists on campus," Sullivan said.

"The primary focus of Harvard is on education, and it has lots of resources and educational insight," he continued.

The improvement project, three years in the making, underwent a year of community planning before its actual implementation, council members said. The renovation is expected to be complete in upwards of a year.