Reader Representative

Approach to Alleged Rape Raises Important Ethical Questions

By Noelle Eckley

In the past few weeks, very serious questions about journalistic ethics and responsibility have come forward about The Crimson's coverage about an important campus issue--the arrest of a Kirkland House resident on charges of rape and assault.

Numerous people have spoken with me and written to The Crimson to protest what they believe has been a "trial by media." Some took issue with the fact that defendant Joshua M. Elster '00 was named in The Crimson; some alleged that the prominence of Elster's name and picture on the front page, under the words "Rape" and "Assault," have damaged Elster's reputation and violated his right to a fair trial. Many more were disturbed by the profile, which included both anonymous quotations and characterizations of the defendant as "odd."

In the aftermath of this incident and the subsequent Crimson coverage, many readers whom I've spoken to would like an explanation of why The Crimson proceeded as it did in reporting this story. According to Crimson President Matthew W. Granade '99, The Crimson printed the story because it was both truthful and relevant, and involved a member of the Harvard community who is charged with an "incredibly serious crime."

To Granade, there is an important distinction in the fact that Elster was charged with this crime, and not merely accused. Crimson Managing Editor Andrew S. Chang '99 cites The Crimson's role in reporting crimes, and in making the community and the public aware that serious crimes do happen on campus--a fact that University police are unlikely to publicize.

The accompanying profile, which ran under the headline "People close to Elster present differing views of alleged rapist," was included, according to Granade, because it provided another piece of information to Crimson readers regarding a pressing story. The profile in The Crimson attempted to answer the questions of who Elster is on campus, including his concentration and extracurricular activities, and how his friends and family feel about his arrest.

Chang believes the profile was very important for giving people a sense of the defendant's community membership. The one element of this story which The Crimson agrees it should not have published is an anonymous quotation from a sophomore in Currier House. "The Crimson does not publish anonymous pejoratives as a rule," said Granade.

In my own conversations with Crimson readers, I have found campus opinion evenly divided between those who believe the defendant's name and picture should have been published, and those who believe it should have been withheld.

In reviewing the main story, headlined "Kirkland House Sophomore Charged with Rape, Assault," I found The Crimson's coverage to be responsible in communicating the facts of the case. The decisive point is that the defendant has been not merely accused of but charged with a serious crime, and that this crime allegedly occurred on campus.

This is an extremely important factor. After his arrest and arraignment, when the story appeared, the defendant's name was a part of public record, and was an important part of the story. A point which has not been mentioned in the debate surrounding The Crimson's coverage, but I feel is important, is that other members of the community may realize that they have information pertinent to this case after reading the name and seeing the picture of the defendant--information which may be valuable to either the prosecution or the defense.

The prominence and size of the picture raises an important question; however, according to The Crimson, the actual size of the picture was not unusually large for a front-page picture attached to a lead story, at one-column width. The Crimson followed journalistic convention by withholding the name of the alleged victim.

What I believe was more of a problem for The Crimson were the two accompanying articles. Both the character profile and the article criticize the University's role ("Students Shocked, Critical Of Harvard's Failure to Inform") included numerous quotations, both anonymous and attributed ones, which contained assumptions about Elster's character. The input of the defendant's father and fine arts professor, however, were important elements which added to the debate.

Aside from the anonymous pejorative, which was clearly unwarranted, quotations from an unnamed friend and a housemate who was admittedly not a friend did not add measurably to the debate. In addition, many quotations in the article criticizing the administration's role were needlessly anonymous and offered less than enlightening opinions on the case.

There was no need for the anonymous quote proclaiming the campus-wide nature of the issue and criticizing the University for its tardy response. Many people on campus were saying the exact same thing on record that day; the use of anonymity in this situation only serves to detract from The Crimson's integrity in reporting.

Quotes which assumed the guilt of the defendant were altered to assume innocence by the insertion of the word "allegedly." In reporting this incident, the reporter should have gathered more targeted responses to the facts of the case--making clear to those interviewed the status of the case and especially the University's delay in reporting the arrest and charge.

In general, I believe The Crimson's coverage was well-intentioned, and the lead story carefully documented and responsible. However, the two accompanying articles, because of their use of questionable quotations which did not add to the tenor of the debate, served to convince many that The Crimson was irresponsible.

In future coverage of this incident and in its coverage of sensitive issues in general, The Crimson needs to be more careful with the use of quotations, especially anonymous ones. The Crimson should recognize that anonymity tends to raise questions among readers about the responsibility and accuracy of coverage, and proceed accordingly.

The Crimson should examine each quotation and ask whether it adds a unique and knowledge perspective. The Crimson should work harder to ensure that reporters and editors inform and enlighten debate with facts, rather than serve as a microphone for campus quotations.

This is my last column as The Crimson's Reader Representative. I'd like to thank all the readers who have given me their comments, criticisms and input on The Crimson's coverage, and encourage everyone to continue to bring your issues to the 1998 Reader Representative.

Noelle Eckley '00 is a resident of Dunster House.