Feaster Joins 2,000-Point Club

All-American reaches milestone; Harvard takes two

By Eduardo Perez-giz, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

On a weekend in which Allison Feaster reached an unparalleled personal milestone, the Harvard women's basketball team came frighteningly close to having several streaks snapped at Lavietes Pavilion.

By Saturday night, however, Harvard (15-2, 5-0 Ivy) had added another school record-for three-point field goal attempts-to its resume. When the games ended, the Crimson's Ivy League winning streak stood at 31 games, its home winning streak stood at 20 games and Feaster stood alone in the annals of Ivy League basketball history. HARVARD  86 BROWN  81 HARVARD  74 YALE  54

Feaster scored her 2,000th career point Saturday night in Harvard's 74-54 victory over Yale (7-10, 1-4), making her the only woman in Ivy League history to record 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in a career. She joins NBA Hall of Famer and current U.S. Senator Bill Bradley as the only other person in Ivy history to accomplish the feat.

"We didn't play our best game [last night], but tonight was definitely different," Feaster said. "It made it that much better when I hit the 2,000."

Before Feaster joined her elite club, Harvard struggled to keep its string of consecutive Ivy League and home wins alive on Friday against Brown. The Bears (6-11, 2-3 Ivy) took the Crimson into overtime but they were unable to stop Feaster from lead her squad to an 86-81 victory.

Harvard 86, Brown 81 (OT)

Friday night's game started off extremely well for Harvard, but it ended up as the closest in the past two years.

After shooting 53 percent from the floor in the first half and owning a 14-point lead at halftime, Harvard looked as if it were ready to blow the game wide open. Instead, the Crimson shot a dismal 29 percent in the second period and committed 15 turnovers in the face of Brown's relentless full court press, allowing the Bears to chip away at the lead and eventually tie the game.

"That was textbook pressure," Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-smith said. "I think [my team] was nervous, and I can't say why. We played scared, and we didn't play good team defense."

Feaster scored only 19 points in regulation--a career-night for most players, but a mediocre performance by her standards--but took over in overtime, scoring nine of Harvard's 12 points in the extra period.

"I played a very tentative game [Friday] night,and I definitely won't play that way the next timeI play them," Feaster said.

She connected on a jumper to pen the overtimescoring, and after Brown's Erin Middendropanswered with a lay-up, Feaster drained athree-pointer to put Harvard up 79-76. She thenswatted away a shot by Brown's Liz Turner whichjunior Suzie Miller scooped up and fed to fellowguard Alison Seanor for a lay-in at the other end.

Following a lay-up by Brown and a free throw byjunior Rose Janowski, Feaster rebounded a miss bySeanor and laid it in for an 84-78 lead. ButBrown's Vita Redding responded by hitting her onlytrey of the night, and it was a one-possessiongame with 58 seconds on the clock.

After several missed shots by both teams,controversy arose. Scrambling for a loose ball,Miller dove on the floor and called a timeout, andthe Brown players and coaches were livid,screaming for a traveling call.

Despite the antics by Redding and Brown CoachJean Marie Burr--which included both individualscrawling on the floor like crabs--the call stood.The possession proved inconsequential as Feastermissed a jumper, and freshman Lisa Kowal crossedin front of Turner after the ensuing defensiverebound, causing the Bears' forward a travel.

Harvard inbounded the ball to Feaster, who wasfouled by Turner and went to the line with sevenseconds showing on the clock and chance to ice thegame. The nation's leading scorer calmly hit bothfree throws to close out the scoring, and thecrowd of 843 breathed a collective sigh of reliefas time ran out.

"It concerns me that we played poorly, butwe've learned so much from this game," saidMiller. "They had a chance to win the game, but wecame back in overtime. We cleaned up what we haddone wrong before, and I think that shows a lot ofpoise and experience. That will help us down theline."

Feaster finished with 28 points, 11 reboundstwo steals and two blocked shots. Janowski andMiller poured in 15 and 13 points, respectively,and Seanor tied a career high with 11 rebounds.She also dished out a game-high five assists.

Harvard played an outstanding first half,highlighted by a 19-2 run while Feaster was on thebench. Miller and senior guard Sarah Brandt ledthe way during the stretch with six points apiece.

Harvard had a chance to win it at the end ofregulation, but Feaster's 18-foot jumper was offthe mark. Feaster, in foul trouble for most ofthe game, played only 26 minutes in regulation.

"When [Fester] is on the floor, there is anatural tendency to count on her, which we'vetried not to do, but how can you not do that;that's a nice negative," Delaney-Smith said.

Harvard 74, Yale 54

Saturday night's game versus Yale included muchless drama than the Brown contest, but Feasterstill owned the spotlight. Before a crowd ofbetter than 1,100--the largest for a women's homegame in the last three years--Feaster made IvyLeague history for the umpteenth time this season.

With 14:45 remaining in the second half, Seanordrove right and kicked the ball out to Kowal onthe right wing. Kowal quickly found Feaster at thetop of the key for the trifecta that gave Harvardits largest lead of the game and brought the housedown.

"It was really, really nice to have a lot ofpeople here to see [me reach 2,000 points],"Feaster said. "I've been here for four years, andthat's getting close to the largest crowd we'vehad."

A loyal fan held a larger poster whichdisplayed Feaster's running career points total.It had read 1,999 until Feaster's trey hit nothingbut net.

As the numbers broke two grand, the crowd roseto its feet and roared in celebration of the IvyLeague's greatest player ever. The salute swelledto deafening proportions and did not subside untilthe game was stopped 20 seconds later to honorFeaster.

The All-American was presented with an ivyplant while the standing ovation persisted, andthe volume of the cheers increased. An obviouslytouched Feaster waved to the crowd in recognitionof their appreciation.

"I was very emotional, especially when thecrowd stood up and everyone was cheering," saidFeaster. "I was surprised [by that reaction]; itreally touched my heart."

Feaster celebrated the milestone by playingwhat may be the best game of her career. She madeher presence left a both ends of the floor andturned in several spectacular plays en route toher second-highest, and Harvard's second-highest,single-game point total ever.

She finished with 36 points, nine rebounds,four steals and four assists. She also turned inthe game's finest player near the end of the firsthalf.

As an errant lob pass sailed out of bounds foran apparent Harvard turnover, Feaster leapt afterit and, while in mid-air, rifled a pass fromunderneath her own hoop to co-captain Megan Basilat the three-point arc.

Basil's shot was off target, and bounded highoff the rim to the right. Feaster reentered thecourt, gained position on the right block, hauledin the offensive rebound and somehow managed tolay the ball in with three defenders surroundingher.

"We want to feed off of [Feaster]," KathyDelaney-Smith. "There is this intangiblecommunication, and we do feed off of her."

If Feaster kicked off the celebration, herteammates showed that they can party with the bestof them. The Crimson set a new school record byattempting 33 three-point shots--exactly half ofits shot total.

Six different players combined for 12 bombsfrom downtown, four of which belonged to Feasterherself. But the senior tandem of Sarah Brandt andKarun Grossman had the hot hands and the accuracythat led the long-range barrage.

Grossman hit both treys she attempted, andBrandt drained three in a row in the first halffor her nine points. Brandt has been hot from theperimeter of late; she is shooting 44 percent frombehind the arc in Harvard's last six games.

"This was a good rebound from [Friday's] game,"Brandt said. "We played well in the first half andmanaged to shut the door in the second half, whichwe couldn't do [Friday] night."

Miller, sophomore Courtney Egelhoff andfreshman Jill Zitnik each added a three as well.The game was never in doubt, as Harvard opened a10-point lead midway through the first half, andYale would get no closer the rest of the way.

The play of Harvard's guards was extremelyimpressive. Exactly half of the Crimson's 36rebounds were recorded by guards, including sevenby Seanor and four by Brandt.

More importantly, the point guard tandem ofBasil and Kowal combined for an impressiveassist-to-turnover ratio of 7-to-2. Egelhoff andjunior Kelly Kinneen also looked impressive offthe bench.

Notes

This was alumni weekend for the Crimson, andseveral Harvard greats were on hand for bothgames, including Harvard legend Tammy Butler '95and Harvard career assists leader Jessica Gelman'96.

Kowal played the final 3:47 of regulation andthe entire overtime period against Brown in placeof Basil, who was still recovering from the flu.

The Crimson's 20-game home winning streak iscurrently he sixth longest in the nation.

HARVARD, 86-81 (OT) at Lavietes Pavilion

Brown  32  42  7  81Harvard  46  28  12  86

BROWN: Redding 8-21 0-0 17; Amato 5-162-4 12; Turner 7-22 0-0 16; Brown 3-5 1-3 7;Miller 4-6 1-2 9; Middendrop 6-10 4-5 18; Lyons0-0 2-2 2; Jones 0-0 0. TOTALS 33-80 10-16 81.

HARVARD: Basil 1-7 0-1 3; Seanor 3-8 2-38; Miller 6-11 0-0 13; Feaster 8-19 10-14 28;Janowski 6-10 3-4 15; Kowal 0-1 0-0 0; Brandt 3-80-0 8; Russell 1-2 0-0 2; Grossman 2-6 2-2 7;Sturdy 1-1 0-0 2; Kinneen 0-0 0. TOTALS: 31-7317-24 86.

HARVARD, 74-54 at Lavietes Pavilion

Yale  21  33  -  54Harvard  34  40  -  74

YALE: Archer 1-1 0-0 2; Perkins 4-7 0-09; Bertao 0-2 0-0 0; Glick 3-9 6-6 12; Braddock4-8 0-0 10; Hardaker 0-1 0-0 0; Grubbs 4-9 2-2 10;O'Leary 0-1 0-0 0; Miller 1-5 0-0 2; Williams 1-30-0 2; Denit 2-6 2-2 7. TOTAL: 20-52 10-10 54.

HARVARD: Basil 0-6 0-0 0; Seanor 2-6 2-26; Miller 1-8 0-0 3; Feaster 14-21 4-4 36; Russell0-2 0-0 0; Kowal 0-0 0; Grossman 2-3 0-0 6; Sturdy1-3 0-0 2; Zitnik 1-1 0-0 3; Egelhoff 2-5 0-0 5;Boike 0-1 0-0 0; Kinneen 1-1 0-0 2. TOTAL: 28-666-6 74.CrimsonJohn WilliamsMAD BOMBER: Senior SARAH BRANDT isshooting 44 percent from three-point territory inher last six games.

Harvard 86, Brown 81 (OT)

Harvard 74, Yale 54

Notes

HARVARD, 74-54 at Lavietes Pavilion

Harvard 74, Yale 54

Notes

HARVARD, 74-54 at Lavietes Pavilion