Higginbotham Takes History

By Andrew K. Mandel, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It's been an emotionally-charged weekend for Professor of Afro-American Studies and newly-named Professor of History Evelyn Brooks Higginbotham.

Higginbotham, the sole tenured black female member of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, will retire from her professorship at the Divinity School, a position which she has held since 1993, to assume her new dual role.

Her new appointment was celebrated at this weekend's Black Arts Fest, during Saturday night's "Celebration of the Black Artistic Experience."

Serenaded with the song "Black Butterfly" by the Brothers of Kuumba, Higginbotham received flowers and a standing ovation acknowledging her new post in the History Department.

"I thought they'd have to pick me up off the floor," she gushed to well-wishers after the show.

The acclaimed author of the religious historyRighteous Discontentalso attended "Songs We Can't Sing," the musical written, starring and co-directed by Derrick N. Ashong '97-'98 that kicked off the Black Arts Festival on Friday night. She was visibly moved by the event, wiping tears from behind her glasses.

"I was just overwhelmed," she said. "The show--it was beautiful."

Although Higginbotham said she appreciated the recognition in Saturday evening's program, she said she was particularly struck by the caliber of the performances.

Higginbotham was the first one on her feet to offer an ovation for the Celebration's final act, the Freshman Steppers.

"I teach and talk with the students in class," she said, "but this great, creative talent--I had no idea, and it's just wonderful."

Candice L. Hoyes '99, who was featured in Friday's musical, participated in an Afro-American Studies seminar with Higginbotham last semester, and said she was thrilled the professor was in attendance--and was honored.

"It's exciting and inspiring to see a professor of her distinction and national acclaim at a groundbreaking student endeavor such as the Black Arts Festival," Hoyes said.

Students were also enthusiastic about Higginbotham's recent appointment.

"It's a long time overdue," Hoyes said. "There are a number of other very qualified junior faculty women of color, and I look forward to their recognition also."

Higginbotham, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin, previously had "unofficial connections" to the historydepartment--advising theses and overseeingcomprehensive examinations--but said she is"really excited for what the post meanssymbolically."

"I am a trained historian," Higginbotham said."I loved my students and classes at the DivinitySchool, but it was really a departure for me."

"I have a wonderful role to play here," shesaid.

William C. Kirby, chair of the historydepartment, noted Higginbotham's longstandingcommitment to the study of history at Harvard.

"Ever since she came to Harvard, ProfessorHigginbotham has worked closely with students fromour department," he said.

"We are extremely happy now to formalize thatrelationship," he added.

While she is quick to praise Kirby for "doing awonderful job building the department--especiallyon the American side," Higginbotham said she feelsthat African-American history has been largelyneglected in the department's academic program.

"There's a difference between teaching aboutrace and teaching history," she said. "There's asubstance and personality in history--a richlegacy of the African-American contribution tolearn about."

Higginbotham said she hopes to teach courses inAfrican-American history and women's issues in thedepartment, and she should be teaching historycourses by next semester.

"I am really honored to be part of the samedepartment as W.E.B. DuBois," she said. "I thinkhe'd be pleased."CrimsonMelissa K. CrockerHONORED: Newly appointed historyprofessor EVELYN B. HIGGINBOTHAM speaks tostudents at this weekend's Black ArtsFestival.