M. Swimming Cruises

By Kate B. Surman, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

In what many Harvard swimmers considered a final practice for next week's Harvard-Yale-Princeton (H-Y-P) meet, the team faced Pittsburgh yesterday. Although the Panthers put up a good fight, in the end the Crimson dominated with a score of 172 to 122.

Several swimmers stood out in yesterday's meet. The Iron Man from last week's meet against Brown--freshman Will Oren--again proved himself to be worthy of the title by his performances in the 200 Butterfly. Oren was just touched out by a Pittsburgh swimmer and came in a close second with a time of 1:51.94, missing first place by only two-tenths of a second. HARVARD  172 PITTSBURGH  122

Sophomore Tim Martin, in particular, had an excellent meet.

"[Martin] gave an outstanding performance in three demanding events including the 1000 Freestyle, the 200 Butterfly, and the 500 Freestyle," said senior Mike Kiedel.

In the 1000 Freestyle, Martin crushed the competition with a time of 9:13.27, followed by Harvard junior Denis Sirringhaus and sophomore Brian Cadman in second and third.

In the 500 Freestyle Martin took second with a time of 4:27.38, and in the 200 Butterfly he took third with 1:51.99, both personal best times unshaved.

Freshman Dan Bazylewicz also stood out in this meet, making a lifetime-best in the 200 Backstroke.

Harvard again swept Pittsburgh, taking first, second and third in the 200 Freestyle. Kiedel came in first place followed by co-captain Eric Matuszak and junior Greg Wriede.

Wriede also took first place with an incredible finish in the 200 Backstroke with a time of 1:48.75 and took first in the 200 Individual Medley with a time of 1:52.91.

In the 500 Freestyle Harvard destroyed Pittsburgh, winning first, second, third and fourth place. Kiedel came in first followed by teammates Martin, junior Denis Sirringhaus and Oren.

Junior Alex Kurmakov also performed well for the team, taking first in both the 50 Freestyle and the 100 Freestyle.

"Alex is a very hard worker," said junior Terry Dougherty. "It was fantastic that he was able to have these two wins in the meet this week, and of course the team will be expecting other stellar swims from him at the end of the season."

The team also welcomed their newest addition, sophomore Ben Rosen. He transferred this semester from the University of Texas at Austin. He swam the butterfly leg of the 200 Medley Relay, as well as the 200 Freestyle, the 100 Butterfly and the 200 Freestyle Relay.

The team is looking forward to the H-Y-P meet where some of the swimmers will be shaved and tapered. The meet is a two-day event on Friday and Saturday of next week hosted by Princeton and the highlight of the rivalry between the swim teams of all three schools.