ATHLETE OF THE WEEK CHRIS BALA '01

La-la-la Bala! M. Hockey's Young Star

By Rebecca A. Blaeser

Following the first period of the Vermont game, there was one major question floating around Gutterson Fieldhouse: Is there anything this guy can't do?

The traditional "Go Cats Go!" chant was silenced for an entire period as the loyal Catamount fans watched in horror as Crimson freshman Chris Bala skated his way into the ECAC history book.

Bala's feat was scoring four goals in just one period; only five other skaters in league history have ever equaled such a performance. It was back in 1978--when the ECAC had 17 teams instead of 12--that the University of New Hampshire's John Fontis scored the same number of goals against Colgate.

"Things don't happen like that all the time. It is maybe a once in a season thing," Bala said. "Sometimes things just go your way, and a couple of times I was in the right place at the right time."

There was already little doubt that Bala is one of the best forwards on the Harvard roster; with this past weekend's performance, the speedy freshman lifted himself into the ECAC elite. In just two days, the Phoenixville, Penn. native notched five goals, good enough to garner ECAC Player of the Week honors.

Heading into the final weekend of regular season play, Bala was tied for the team lead in points with fellow freshman Steve Moore. Although Moore still maintains his status as the top point-getter among ECAC freshmen with 30 points, Bala sits right behind his linemate with 29 points, including a team-leading 15 goals.

In addition, it was no coincidence that Bala's offensive explosion came during Harvard's first weekend sweep since the 1996-97 season.

Does the Crimson's success ride on the shoulders of the young Chris Bala?

With performances like last weekend's, there may be nothing the Crimson can't do with him gracing the line.