HIGHLIGHTS

Co-Ed Sailing Falls in Sail-Off

By Jamal K. Greene

Crimson swimmers appeared throughout the All-Ivy Men's Swimming and Diving Team announced yesterday. The teams were based on finishes at the Eastern Seaboards Championships.

In addition, sophomore Tim Martin shared the Phil Moriarty Award honoring the swimmer who earned the most points in a 1998 meet with junior Charles Barnes of Brown.

Martin was named to the All-Ivy first team in both the 500 and 1650 freestyle events.

Four of a possible five Harvard relay teams were named to the First Team. The events were the 200 freestyle, 400 medley, 800 freestyle and 400 freestyle relays. Senior Mike Kiedel appeared on all four relay squads while junior Alex Kurmakov appeared on three.

Kiedel and Kurmakov also garnered individual spots on the First Team roster. Kiedel earned two spots in the 200 individual medley and the 200 freestyle, Kurmakov was honored in the 50 freestyle.

Senior Dave Schwartz made the first team in the 200 breaststroke and also appeared on the 400 medley relay team. He also made the second team in the 100 breaststroke.

Seniors Matt Cornue and Eric Matuszak, along with freshman Jamey Waters, appeared on two All-Ivy relay teams.

Harvard was also represented well on the second team, led by junior Greg Wriede in the 200 individual medley (behind Kiedel), the 400 individual medley and the 200 backstroke.

Junior Denis Sirringhaus made the second team in the 1650 freestyle (behind Martin), junior James Zenyuh made the team in the 100 backstroke, and freshman Will Oren earned the 200 butterfly second team slot.

All in all, the Crimson earned 11 first team spots of a possible 20 and seven of a possible second team times.

Needless to say, Harvard dominated the team competition, finishing first with 810.50 total points. The second-place team, Princeton, had 687.50.