Feaster Nets Chance to Play Pro Basketball

Nation's leading scorer to enter WNBA draft

By Eduardo Perez-giz, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Lisa Leslie, Rebecca Lobo and Theresa Edwards may have had first, but Allison Feaster's got next.

Feaster, co-captain of the 1997-98 Harvard women's basketball team and the nation's leading scorer this year, signed a contract yesterday with the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). The terms of the agreement are confidential, but the signing makes Feaster eligible for the WNBA draft which will be held on April 29 at 11 a.m. in New York City.

Feaster's decision ends weeks of speculation as to which American professional league she would sign with. Feaster ultimately cited length of season and personal reasons as the primary factors in her decision to sign with the WNBA rather than the American Basketball League (ABL).

"Factor number one was flexibility--I don't know if I want to play six months out of the year," Feaster said referring to the longer ABL schedule. "I came to Harvard because I knew I would have options."

"Factor number two--my boyfriend plays in Belgium, and spending time with him is a huge factor because we've been apart for five years," she said.

One of the primary advantages to joining the WNBA is that, because its season runs only during the summer, players are free to join European teams overseas during the rest of the year. The ABL season, which begins in October and ends in March, runs concurrently with the European season.

The incentive for Feaster to spend time in Europe is twofold--North Carolina State graduate Danny Strong, her boyfriend since high school, is currently playing professional basketball in Belgium. Feaster also has not dismissed the prospect of playing professionally in Europe herself during the WNBA's offseason.

"I would entertain the possibility [of playingin Europe during the rest of the year]," Feastersaid.

Feaster will travel to New York City for thedraft, which consists of four rounds. Each of the10 teams has one pick per round, and it isspeculated that Feaster will be one of the top 10picks and go in the first round.

"My gut tells me she'll go in the first round,"Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith said. "Allisonis such a versatile player. I've spoken to severalprofessional coaches, and they've certainly beendoing their homework."

Unlike in other professional athletic leagues,WNBA players do not sign contracts with individualteams. Signing with the league commits a player toone of the WNBA teams.

Player's salaries are determined by the orderin which they are selected in draft. The firstthree picks will earn $50,000 for the season,picks four through seven will receive $44,000 andnumbers eight through 10 each will make $37,500.It is not known whether Feaster received a signingbonus or not.

"I hired an agent, and he did all thenegotiating," Feaster said. "Money really didn'thave that much to do with it."

A three-time Ivy League Player of the Year,Feaster won Harvard's first ever national scoringtitle this season after averaging 28.5 points pergame and leading the Crimson to its best record inhistory (23-5). She was also named a KodakAll-American, the most prestigious honor a women'scollege basketball player can receive.

Feaster was also the principal architect of oneof the greatest upsets in the history ofpostseason college basketball when she led16th-seeded Harvard to a stunning 71-67 victoryover top-seed Stanford in the first round of theNCAA Tournament. Feaster scored a game-high 35points and grabbed 13 rebounds in that contest,which was played on the Cardinal's home floor andbroadcast nationally on ESPN.

After an illustrious collegiate career duringwhich she became the Ivy League's all-time leadingscorer and the first Ancient Eight player ever torecord 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds,Feaster leaves the hallowed halls of Harvard forthe world of professional athletics.

Although the ABL was considered by many to havehad better talent than the WNBA last season, theWNBA has signed 41 of the nation's top graduatingplayers, including four Kodak All-Americans, 13Conference Players of the Year and 28All-Conference First Team selections.

The list of future WNBA participants reads likea Who's Who inventory of college basketball starsand includes Feaster, Florida's Murriel Page--whoalso signed yesterday--North Carolina's TracyReid, Texas Tech's Alicia Thompson, Maine's CindyBlodgett, Arizona's Adia Barnes, Arkansas' ChristySmith and Stanford's Vanessa Nygaard.

Another benefit of joining the WNBA as opposedto the ABL is the much higher degree of publicityand opportunity for endorsement deals thatcharacterize the WNBA. Many people have toutedFeaster as a potentially excellent spokespersonfor the league itself and for women's basketball.

"Allison is not only a great player, but Ithink she's going to be a tremendous ambassadorfor the game," said WNBA Director of PlayerPersonnel Renee Brown.

"It's no secret that the WNBA is wellpublicized; I mean, you're seeing it," Feasteradded. "I think it's just a better atmosphere, abetter environment for marketing potential."

"I see the main difference [between theleagues] being the exposure the women in the WNBAreceive; I mean, that's huge for women'sbasketball," Feaster continued. "That's not themain reason I'm choosing it, because if it were, Iwould have chosen a different school besidesHarvard. For me, it's all about having options,and I think the WNBA will present me with morefor my future."

Delaney-Smith said she agrees that Feaster hasthe necessary qualities to make a tremendousimpact on the professional ranks.

"Allison is very well-spoken, very bright.She's a very good spokesperson," Delaney-Smithsaid. "She's very team focused, and she's anatural leader. She'll bring balance to theWNBA--she knows how to work, how to do in theclassroom, how to do well on the court and how todo well in life."

Feaster's collegiate teammates share theircoach's enthusiasm over the opportunity Feasterhas received. They are also excited about theimplications her situation may have on women'sbasketball.

"It's so nice to see someone who has put somuch into Harvard as a student, as an athlete andas a person finally get rewarded for her efforts,"said co-captain-elect Suzie Miller. "It is also awonderful commentary on the state of women'sbasketball that she had the option to choosebetween two leagues."

"I could not be happier for her," addedFeaster's fellow captain Megan Basil. "No one inthe world deserves it more. She is one of thestrongest women I have ever known. I hope she getsme free tickets."

Feaster, however, is not taking ticket requestsjust yet. She sees the signing simply as the firststep in the long process of achieving her ultimategoal.

"[Signing the contract] was very exciting, butI'm the type of person where I don't get my hopesup for something that's not set in stone," Feastersaid. "I'm not going to even think about thisuntil I see my name on the final roster."

Feaster's is the latest name on a list ofHarvard senior athletes who have a chance atcareers in professional athletics. Men's soccercaptain Tom McLaughlin was drafted by the MLS'sNew England Revolution earlier this year.

Tim Fleiszer, defensive end on the Harvardfootball team, was the first overall pick in theCFL draft two weeks ago, and Fleiszer's teammateMatt Birk was selected in the sixth round of theNFL draft last Sunday. Additionally, free safetyJeff Compas signed a contract with the New EnglandPatriots earlier this week.

"It affirms what I already knew--that Harvardhas a quality athletic program," Feaster said,"I'm very proud to be a part of it, I'm very proudto be a part of the Class of 1998 and I lookforward to June 4 Commencement where we all cometogether and celebrate it.

"I'm very proud, and if there were aprofessional women's soccer league or aprofessional women's lacrosse league, I'm surewe'd have players being drafted there too," shesaid.

As for the longevity of her career, Feasterintends to live out her dream as long as she can.When asked how long she would like to playprofessional basketball, her response camequickly: "As long as my body will allow me toplay, and as long as I have the ability," shesaid.

Feaster does not know for which team she willend up playing--although the Los Angeles Sparkshave already asked her to fly out to Californiathis weekend and work out with the team-and shesays she does not care. For now, she will simplycontinue her daily regimen of weightlifting,conditioning and practicing basketball.

But if you happen to be at the MAC the nexttime Allison Feaster heads down there to play apick-up game, you may want to grab a spot on herteam. After all, she's definitely got next.CrimsonHenry G. WeiREADY FOR THE BIG TIME: Aftercollege, senior ALLISON FEASTER will be doing whatmany only dream about--playing professionalbasketball.