ATHLETES OF THE WEEK

"T" Time

By Eduardo Perez-giz

For the first time ever, The Crimson found itself in a bind when voting on an Athlete of the Week.

With the softball team clinching its firstever Ivy League title behind an awesome offensive display by junior co-captain Tara LaSovage and the pitching heroics of senior Tasha Cupp, what were we to do? Offense or defense? The stick or the arm?

Both were sensational, so we had to go with both.

LaSovage had perhaps the biggest weekend of her career, going 9-for-15 in four games against Penn and Cornell. She recorded one double, two triples and her third home run of the season.

She also had a four-RBI game in the weekend opener at Penn.

Cupp, meanwhile, continues to mesmerize opposing batters from the mound. The three-time All-Ivy Second Teamer threw two complete game shutouts.

Cupp surrendered just five combined hits to the Quakers and Big Red while striking out 16 batters, including 11 in one game.

Behind the outstanding performances of LaSovage and Cupp, the rest of the Crimson hitters and pitchers followed suit, and Harvard returned from Ithaca with a perfect 10-0 conference record and the first Ivy Championship in the program's history.

Congratulations to the entire softball team on its historic accomplishment, and especially to Cupp and LaSovage, who led by example in guiding their team to the crown.