GTE Honors Lacrosse, Tennis Scholar-Athletes

By Jason C. Tsomides, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Charles H. Brown '98 and Kunj Majmudar '99 have been named to the spring at-large GTE Academic All-District Team representing district I.

Selection for the team is based on excellence in both academics and athletics. Winners must maintain a minimum 3.20 GPA and be a starter or key reserve on a varsity team, according to information obtained from telecommunications company GTE.

The teams are determined by College Sports Information Directors of America.

Brown, who was a midfielder on Harvard's lacrosse team, was named to the first team in the university division. Majmudar, who plays on Harvard's tennis team, was named to the second team in the same division.

Approximately 160 scholar-athletes nationwide were selected for the spring teams.

Both Brown and Majmudar said they were surprised and happy to have been chosen.

"I'm definitely overwhelmed," Brown said. "It's an absolute shock."

"I didn't expect it," he added, noting that the lacrosse season has been long over. "My jersey's on the wall."

Selection for the team has enabled players who later turn professional to gain prestige needed for endorsement deals, Majmudar said, adding that he is considering playing tennis professionally after graduation.

Both players are also eligible to be named to the national Academic All-America Team which was established in 1952. Selection for the national team, which will include a total of only 20 student-athletes, will be announced June 16.