Club Tennis Was Always Co-ed

Letters

To the editors:

I was excited to read about the Radcliffe tennis club's season-opening victory (Sports, Sept. 24, "Radcliffe Women Play, Win, Make History"). For the last four years, the Harvard Tennis Club has given non-varsity players a chance to train and compete in intercollegiate matches. The emergence of the women's club now provides an additional alternative for women who play tennis at a high level.

I feel, however, obligated to clarify the history of club tennis presented in the article. It reads, "In years past, the Harvard tennis club did not accept women, and club level tennis remained a male sport." The Harvard Tennis Club has always welcomed undergraduates, both men and women, to try out for the club. Unfortunately, due to the limited resources and court time available to our team, we are only able to take on a fraction of the players who show interest and fill our team through competitive tryouts. Last year, a female player was one of the strongest who came out for the team. Jacqueline A. Newmyer '01 was a key member of the Harvard Tennis Club and played in several intercollegiate matches.

As Harvard's best, the varsity men's and women's tennis teams, gear up for another season, the Harvard Tennis Club will continue to offer the best of the rest, both men and women, tennis at a competitive level. ANDY SHULMAN '99   September 24, 1998

The writer is co-president of the Harvard Tennis Club.