'Poems, Poets' Left Homeless Due to Demand

By Christopher C. Pappas, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

This morning, as students crowd into Lowell Lecture Hall, Porter University Professor Helen H. Vendler will learn if her class has finally found a home.

Enrollment in Literature and Arts A-22, "Poems, Poets, Poetry," has swelled, in part because many students lotteried out of Historical Study B-21, "The Warren Court and the Pursuit of Justice" and other core courses looked to replace it with Vendler's class, which also meets Mondays and Wednesdays at noon.

As a result, Vendler's class has moved from three other locations that were too small for it.

After packed meetings in Sever 113 and Emerson 105, Monday's lecture was relocated to the Fogg Art Museum and attracted far more than the 387 people fire codes permitted.

Due to the crowd, an estimated 50 students couldn't enter the room and were told to view the lecture on videocassette.

"We're kind of a nomadic class right now," Shruti Ravikumar '02 said.

Ravikumar was one of the lucky ones who found a seat inside the lecture hall. Space was at a premium, as dozens camped in the aisles and around the professor's podium. Lecture was delayed about 20 minutes as students were ushered out of the lecture hall to ease the crowding.

Abigail Tucker '02, who was shut out of Monday's session, said every class has been uncomfortably full, even before many of the Warren Court overflow students enrolled. Each move to a larger area was accompanied by an increase in the number that attended, Tucker said.

"I don't know why they suddenly decided it would be a fire hazard Monday," she said. "It was packed to the brim every single class."

Estimates before the start of the academic year pegged enrollment at only 198. About 435 students have signed up so far according to Head Teaching Fellow V. Nick LoLordo. Due to increased enrollment, 23 sections will be held every week instead of the initial 11 planned and LoLordo said more may be added.

But although the number of sections may vary, LoLordo said he is confident that Literature and Arts A-22 has finally found a permanent residence in Lowell Lecture Hall.

"I don't think there will be any other moves," he said.

The question remains, however, whether Lowell can comfortably hold the entire class.

According to LoLordo, there is no other alternative. Course instructors would like to hold classes in Sanders Theatre, but Social Analysis 10, "Principles of Economics," occupies the noon spot Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Still, Vendler rejects the idea of a lottery for "Poems, Poets, Poetry." And many students, despite having to endure a hot and cramped learning environment, support her decision.

"Everyone I know that's in the class likes it and is willing to stick with it," Ravikumar said. "She is an unbelievable teacher, and we'll just have to deal with the crowding."

"She is an amazing lecturer," Sugi V. Ganeshananthan '02 agreed.

Though she also had to watch Monday's lecture on video, Ganeshananthan plans to continue attending the class.

Tucker also said she will not drop the course, but she said she has reservations about its size.

"All our lectures have been abbreviated by about 15 minutes. I think it's beginning to impede the learning process," Tucker said.

But LoLordo said overcrowding comes with the territory of enrolling in a popular Core course.

"Personally, I regard [the situation] as essentially a consequence of shopping period," LoLordo said.

"[It is] an example of a necessary problem with the institution that can be expected to recur. Students should allow for such occurrences when evaluating the benefits and drawbacks of this system.