PBHA Celebrates 100th Anniversary

By Rachel L. Brown, Contributing Writer

On Jan. 23, 1900, at 4 p.m., hundreds of donors gathered in the northwest corner of Harvard Yard to dedicate the new Phillips Brooks House (PBH) to the ideals of "piety, charity and hospitality."

Exactly one hundred years later--to the very hour--75 students, donors and PBH affiliates assembled yesterday afternoon to rededicate the building and celebrate its storied past.

The house was built in memory of Phillips Brooks, Class of 1855, who became a well-known Episcopal preacher in the Boston community and the bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Massachusetts in 1891.

At the original opening ceremony, Chair of the Building Committee Robert Treat Paine indicated that the purpose of the building was "to increase the study of holy things and to make the worship of God the career of some and an essential part of the life of all."

At yesterday's event, Robert Treat Paine Storer '45, great-grandson of the original ceremony's opening speaker, told the assembled guests of the close ties his family had had with Phillips Brooks. He also emphasized the importance of religion in his own life and in the creation of PBH.

"I think PBH was dedicated to increase the religious spirit of Harvard," he said. "I look upon the 1,700 student volunteers as being the first step in spreading the Judeo-Christian creed, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'"

Other highlights of the event included a cake made in the shape of Phillips Brooks House, donated by Alden Merrell Cheesecake Company, and a speech by Reverend Peter J. Gomes, Plummer professor of Christian morals.

Gomes recalled the spirit of Brooks in his address.

"He made it possible to think of faith as a way of living, thinking, being and serving," Gomes said. "It is important to remember that [PBH] was not simply to be this splendid place of bricks and mortar... but to shelter and enhance the living memorial of an ideal expressed in human flesh."

Natalie Guerrier '01, incoming president of Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA), spoke about the activities of the student organization that has occupied the building since its formation in 1904.

"PBHA has become known for its commitment to public service and social justice," she said.

Though now a secular organization, PBHA does a good job of fulfilling the building's original purpose, students said.

"The greater good is our mission," said Charity D. Shumway '01, the incoming programming co-chair.

PBHA is made up of 73 student-run programs involving 1,800 volunteers and a full-time staff. Student coordinators said they are grateful for the privilege of using the building.

"In light of other programs that don't have office space, we're extremely lucky to have offices, staff, photocopiers and meeting rooms," said Christine C. Chen '00, outgoing programming co-chair.

Students involved in the organization said they find that their public service experience has a positive impact on the rest of their lives.

"I'm going to teach after I graduate because of PBHA," said Priscilla Chan '01, incoming programming co-chair. "It's shaped my whole life."

It is dedicated students who keep the House true to its original mission, Gomes said.

"As long as this work remains to be done, and there are Harvard students to do it, the memory of Phillips Brooks will remain alive," Gomes said.