HYPE Pushes Voter Registration

By Ari D. Brettman, Contributing Writer

The goal was to register new voters, and several top Massachusetts politicians did their best to turn up the volume, but it was the unusual tunes of

They Might Be Giants that drew the thickest crowds.

The Institute of Politics ended their month-long voter registration drive yesterday with its much-promoted Harvard Youth for Political Empowerment (HYPE) event on the Quad.

The atmosphere was festive, the crowd somewhat sparse at times, but the cotton candy was copious, and the speakers, energetic. They exhorted Harvard students to vote and to participate in civic life.

"I don't care whether you vote or don't vote, but I'll tell you, if you don't vote, I don't care about you," U.S. Rep. Michael E. Capuano said.

Sen. John F. Kerry said, "There are a group of people in Washington who just don't get it, and we need to teach them a lesson."

U.S. Rep Barney Frank '61-62, however, said he knew that his audience included many who had already decided to vote.

"I assume to some extent that I am preaching to the converted," he said.

"The Presidency, the Senate and the House are all up for grabs," he reminded them.

Rick Davis, a former campaign aide to Sen. John S. McCain (R-Ariz.) and an ubiquitous campus presence since he became an IOP fellow this fall, reminded students that voter registration does not necessarily predict voter turnout and urged students to go to the polls.

"The establishment won't listen to you unless you speak," he said, adding that less than one third of eligible 18 to 24-year-olds actually vote.

"Do what you can to change the system or it will run right over you. Believe me, I've got the tire tracks on my back."

Although the event did not officially endorse any candidate, some speakers revealed their partisan colors.

"I was amazed by [Saturday night's] Miss America competition," Kerry said at one point. "These women, from all 51 states, all from different races, creeds, and backgrounds, shared one thing in common: They all had a better understanding of the issues than George W. Bush."

IOP student advisory committee members said they were pleased by the event's turnout.

Hannah L. Choi, chair of the IOP's student advisory committee, said she estimated that between 1,000 and 1,500 people were in attendance at any given moment.

"HYPE went extremely well," Choi said.

But several other observers said they thought the crowd comprised about half that amount.

(The Harvard University Police Department was not able to provide their estimate as of last night.)

Students less interested in the speeches found ample diversion in the Moonwalk and inflated obstacle course. The most celebrated attraction of HYPE, however, was They Might Be Giants.

The New York band quickly stirred up the previously sedate audience.

The band performed a concert of songs, including the popular tracks from their most recent album Flood. They crooned old favorites like "Istanbul Was Once Constantinople", "Birdhouse in Your Soul" and "Particle Man."

The variety of attractions drew a motley crowd.

"It's a great way to bring the community together," said Lisa B. Schwartz '03, co-chair of HYPE.

While most appeared to come to see the band and others to hear the oratory of the politicians, a few came for the free food.

"I came for the fried dough," explained Emily Connolly '04, "but there wasn't any."

An estimate on how many students registered to vote yesterday was not available. Prior to the event, the IOP said that 3,914 students were registered.

IOP officials said they intend to reward the upper-class House and first-year yard that boasts the highest voter registration percentages with a private discussion with McCain, who will speak at the ARCO Forum Tuesday.

By the IOP's reckoning, Currier House, with 88 percent registered to vote, and Ivy Yard, with 77 percent registered to vote, currently lead the pack.

--Hannah Kenser contributed to the reporting to this article.