Barrios Encourages Adams House Students To Vote

By S. CHARTEY Quarcoo, Contributing Writer

Mass. State Rep. Jarrett T. Barrios '90 visited Adams House dining hall last night in a last-minute drive to register student voters for the upcoming presidential election.

The drive fell within the final 24 hours of voter registration.

Accompanied by Adams House Master Sean Palfrey, Barrios went from table to table asking students whether they had registered and, if not, asking them to register on the spot.

A former Adams resident and a Democrat, the state representative said his only goal was to increase the number of student voters, regardless of party affiliation.

"I'm like a pimp for democracy," he said. "[I want you to] vote for who ever you want to vote for as long as you vote."

According to Palfrey, beyond the immediate goal of voter registration, the organized visit was "to try and get people active."

Barrios worked hard toward that end last night, as the self-described "Catholic guilt-tripper" did not back down from challenging students hesitant to register.

"You are the most politically disinterested generation in...20 years." he told one student. "Do you know who your state representative is? Well hell, come on, register!"

While most students said they had already registered in their home states, many were impressed by the representative's personal approach.

"Having a representative care so much as to come in is really great," said Jennifer S. Wagner '01.

Theodora "Dorie" R. Clark, an Adams House non-resident tutor and Barrios' former campaign manager, described the representative as a "social activist."

"His number-one issue is housing simply because there's been such a crisis in affordable housing," she said.

This focus on social activism came out in Barrios' talks with students. One of the major concerns that he discussed was a Massachusetts ballot initiative which, if approved, would "create an across-the-board income tax cut that would force us to close a number of social service programs."

Although Barrios, who is running unopposed for reelection, said he was not disappointed by the results of last night's drive, he maintained that college voter participation is dangerously low.

"I was satisfied that [there were so many] who were already registered," he said. "[But] it is alarming," he added, "when the best and brightest are not interested in voting."

Barrios said, from his experience, college students are much less politically active than other demographic groups. But Barrios did have a positive message for the College.

"Harvard students take heart," he said. "Your disinterest in this election is far surpassed by that of MIT students."