Candidates Arrive in Boston for Debate

By Edward B. Colby, Crimson Staff Writer

Presidential rivals George W. Bush and Al Gore '69 arrive in Boston today facing enormous pressure to perform well in tonight's debate at UMass-Boston, an event that could mark the turning point in the race.

The candidates both laid low yesterday, making last-minute preparations. Spokespeople for both campaigns emphasized that their candidates were spending important portions of their day with "real people."

Bush made his only public appearance of the day at a rally in Huntington, W.Va., a coal mining town on the Ohio River, where he was introduced by a hard hat-wearing miner.

"[He was] talking to real folks, talking to real people about his issues," said Bush spokesperson Ken Lisaius.

"That's a great form of debate prep--talking to real people about what's on their minds," Lisaius added.

Gore, meanwhile, spent the past two days in Sarasota, Fla., holding discussions and debate preparations with 13 much-mentioned "real people" who he met along the campaign trail, said deputy national spokesperson Devona Dolliole.

She said Gore would arrive in Boston at 2:15 or 2:30 p.m., spending most of the day collecting his thoughts.

"He will come to the debate site for a brief walk-through and then return to his hotel to get ready for the debate," Dolliole said.

Bush, who is expected to arrive in the early afternoon, is not expected to make a public appearance before the debate either.

"I think he's going to spend most of the day doing debate prep and getting ready," said Robert R. Porter '00-'02, president of Harvard Students for Bush. "Especially since it's the first debate and there's so much media attention, I think he'll keep a low profile for most of the day."

Tonight's debate is seen as crucial for both campaigns, which are running neck-and-neck in numerous national polls.

With five weeks remaining until the Nov. 7 election, the debate will give both candidates the opportunity to woo millions of undecided voters--voters who could decide what is shaping up to be the closest presidential election since 1960.

Porter said that if Bush--who has been roundly criticized for speaking blunders during his campaign--can demonstrate he has a firm grasp of the issues and show his commitment to them, he will emerge as a "real winner."

"He needs to come across as being in control of the material, of being able to express the rhetoric and ideas of his campaign in a way that people can understand," Porter said.

But Dolliole asserted that Bush needs "a decisive winning performance" to counter Gore's post- convention surge. Analysts estimate that Gore currently holds a slight lead in the Electoral College, but there are enough battleground states to make the election a tossup.

"Throughout this campaign, whenever voters have heard directly from Al Gore on the issues, they have responded positively," Dolliole said. "Bush needs to score a significant victory in this debate to turn the race around."

Hundreds of Harvard students, both Democrats and Republicans, will participate in various rallies today.

Marc Stad '01, president of the Harvard College Democrats, said 300 Harvard students will participate in the Gore campaign's preparation. They will be driving in the motorcade that will transport Gore from his hotel to the debate site, helping Gore's advance team escort the national press corps or participating in "visibility" rallies and sign-waving in Boston.

"Throughout the entire day, the streets of Massachusetts are going to be lined with literally thousands of supporters for the vice president," Stad said.

Porter said 100 Harvard Republicans will attend pre- and post-debate Bush rallies at Murphy Memorial Rink in South Boston, while a few others will ride on a "Mobile Rally" bus, attend a posh fundraiser with Rep. J.C. Watts (R-Okla.) or enter the debate hall itself.

"This is going to be a big turning point in the campaign," Porter said. "It's a big opportunity for both Bush and Gore. It's going to be fun."