M. Hockey Faces Off Against No. 5 UNH

By Jennie L. Sullivan, Crimson Staff Writer

Right now, the Harvard men's hockey team is clinging to first place in the ECAC, with only a slim one-point margin over Vermont and Princeton.

But the winning percentages of the teams tell a markedly different story.

The Crimson (6-4-1, 5-3-1 ECAC) takes a backseat to a flawless Catamount squad (7-4-0, 5-0-0 ECAC) and Cornell (5-3-2, 4-1-1 ECAC), dropping Harvard to third in the conference.

Sporting the top ECAC slot and a No. 14 national ranking to boot, Harvard needs to snag an upset non-conference victory over No. 5 University of New Hampshire tonight if they want to maintain some semblance of clout in the league.

"We try to approach every game the same way," freshman winger Kenny Turano said. "We aren't going to change our game because their goalie has been doing well. Like always we'll try to get to the net every chance we get."

However, this feat is easier said than done, given that the Wildcats have emerged relatively unscathed from their tailspin earlier last month. After suffering three consecutive losses in November to Yale, UMass-Amherst and Providence, UNH has returned with a vengeance.

A significant reason for this recent turnaround is the dominant play of Wildcats' goaltender Ty Conklin.

Conklin, who is an All-American, posted mediocre statistics last month, posting a 3.02 GAA and .871 save percentage. These numbers pale in comparison to his 1999-2000 season, when he boasted an impressive 2.49 GAA, .908 save percentage, and a 22-8-6 record.

Conklin has found his groove again though, touting a scant 0.99 GAA and a near-perfect .965 save percentage in his last five games. Perhaps it is more than coincidence that UNH hasn't lost a game since November 11.

"UNH has some quick forwards who can put the puck in the net and strong goaltending," junior defenseman Graham Morrell said. "So it is important that we play good team defense and be quick on transitions."

However, strength between the pipes is definitely not something the Crimson is lacking.

Senior netminder Oliver Jonas has dazzled opponents and spectators alike all season, stealing many a close game from the brink of defeat.

Jonas' personal 4-3-1 record doesn't really reflect his spectacular performances this season. His league statistics are still top notch, putting him in the upper tier of college goaltending. With a respectable .925 save percentage, Jonas has earned a sizzling 2.48 GAA.

Unfortunately, the rest of the Harvard squad has yet to turn in the same consistently stellar efforts.

Touting intimidating offensive lines earlier this season, the Crimson has weakened considerably on that front. Harvard dropped to eighth place in the conference for scoring offense, notching only 3.22 goals per game, as compared to Vermont's league-leading 4.80.

Though the power play unit received a much-needed boost with three goals on the man-advantage against Brown last week, the Bears currently sport a 59.5 penalty kill percentage, worst in the ECAC. Not surprisingly, the Catamounts held the Crimson power play scoreless on six attempts last Saturday.

And considering that UNH boasts a scorching 93.8 percent penalty kill, Harvard's power play would be an unlikely savior against the Wildcats tonight.

Again, a shining spot for Harvard is its penalty kill, which dropped slightly to second in the league at 92 percent behind Cornell. Assistant captain Chris Bala proved that playing a man down doesn't always have to be a disadvantage, as he notched his first shorthanded goal against last weekend.

The biggest hurdle for Harvard to overcome against UNH is its struggling defense. With freshman defenseman Kenny Smith sidelined indefinitely for a stress fracture and Morrell possibly joining him with a reinjured shoulder, the Crimson has to seriously reevaluate its defensive position.

"Our biggest area of concern is on the blue line," Harvard Coach Mark Mazzoleni said. "It could be a long-term thing with Graham before we get him back."

"I severely separated my shoulder against Vermont and will not be in the lineup against UNH," Morrell said. "After the game the doctors predicted it would take about a month to recover but I am planning on being ready to play in Colorado."

Recently Mazzoleni has fallen into the habit of running four or five defensemen per game. He might get lucky employing this option against the Wildcats, considering that they have the worst scoring offense in Hockey East--a meager 2.12 goals per game.

"I know our defense will be ready to play [tonight]," Morrell said. "It's a big game and it will be a great atmosphere up there. I expect coach to go with six defensemen because of the big ice surface and the fact that we have some guys that are a little banged up."

UNH notched only two goals in its last two games, skating to a scoreless tie, and a 2-2 knot against UMass-Lowell last weekend. The Wildcats could have stolen the second game back from the underdogs, but they gave up two unanswered goals 17 seconds apart in the third period to cost them the victory.

"We're throwing young players out there, and we've had to throw them right to the fire since day one, especially on the blue lines because of injuries," Mazzoleni said. "The good thing about it is they are gaining unbelievable experience right now."

That said, UNH must be doing something right. The Wildcats are not far out of the top slot in the premiere college conference in the country, and owns a fifth place ranking nationwide. It would be presumptuous for the Crimson to think that UNH's flaws will allow Harvard to skate away with an easy victory.