Council Race Wraps Up

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

As the Undergraduate Council presidential race wraps up today, candidates are making a final push for victory and making plans for next year's council.

When the polls close tonight at midnight, the Election Commission will begin counting the votes using the council's "ucvote" program. It expects to announce a winner by 1 a.m. tomorrow.

Candidates, however, are already discussing how they would spend the extra money which will come to the council next fall if Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 succeeds in raising the student activities fee on the term bill.

"That's part of the debate the council will have over the coming year," said Paul A. Gusmorino '02.

Lewis' plan, which will be voted on by the Committee on College Life (CCL) this morning, has the potential to almost double the council's budget, which now totals about $150,000.

"The next president will have it easy," joked current council President Fentrice D. Driskell '01.

If the CCL approves the plan, it will go before the Faculty for a vote.

While all candidates agree they would boost student group grant funding, each candidate has put his own spin on how the surplus money would be spent.

For example, Stephen N. Smith '02 said he would use the money to fund more campus-wide events--a core part of his platform.

"I'd like to see a lot more professional bands and musicians on campus," he says.

Gusmorino agrees that campus-wide events need to be boosted, but said that it should be done by House Committees and the newly created Concert Commission--not by the council itself.

Justin A. Barkley '02 has advocated giving more money to House Committees as the centerpiece of his platform, and he promises that money from the term bill fee increase would go to House Committees, too.

He also argues that a reallocation of the council's funds would free up even more money. Cutting the usual big-name band from Springfest would allow the council to host a Fallfest featuring student bands, he said.

B.J. Averell '02 could not comment because the Election Commission has ordered his campaign to shut down due to rules violations. However, in Monday's presidential debate, he agreed with Barkley that House Committees could use the money.

"The U.C. is there to reinforce the HoCos and that's key to building smaller communities on campus," he said Monday.

Matthew P. Zanotelli '02 said he would divert some of the money to his planned council endowment, which would go towards funding the council in the future.

"If we can set aside enough to be financially viable over the next 20 years, we won't have to raise the term bill again," he said.

As a result of yesterday's rain and snow, just a few supporters campaigned in front of the Science Center, which has been the center of campaign activity so far. The weather also prevented most campaigns from doing a final postering run in the Yard.

Each candidate plans to celebrate the end of the campaign in his own way tonight.

In the largest event, the Gusmorino and running mate Sujean S. Lee '03 have reserved the Leverett House Junior Common Room for an "Orange party"--after their campaign's color--at 11 p.m.

--Staff writer Garrett M. Graff can be reached at ggraff@fas.harvard.edu.