On the Issues: George W. Bush

By M. DOUGLAS Omalley, sad

Crowned by the Republican establishment last year, bruised by the unexpected strength of Sen. John S. McCai' candidacy, Texas Gov. George W. Bush hopes to finally lock up the Republican nomination today.

Bush had hoped to have the contest wrapped up back in New Hampshire, but a flood of independent and Democratic primary voters have

tightened the Republican race. Bush has struggled to attract voters outside of the main Republican base.

Beyond Bush's claim of a "compassionate conservatism," he mixes old-party line Republican policy with new conservative ideology. The issues Bush has trumpeted on the campaign trail include his tax cut proposals and educational reforms.

Bush is pushing for tax cuts of $483 billion over five years, which will cut the top tax rate to 33 percent along with lower income tax brackets. There will be $8 billion worth of tax incentives for charitable conversations.

Bush's education incentive program focuses on supporting charter schools and school voucher programs. Bush supports starting a $3 billion charter school fund along with tying voucher programs to a nationwide "accountability" system.

Bush's crime platform is based on a "tough love" philosophy. He supports the death penalty and wants to strengthen juvenile crime sentences and sentences for gun offenses. Bush also supports limited forms of gun control, such as gun show background checks and banning guns in school areas. But he is a proponent of the right to carry concealed weapons.

Politically, Bush has yet to fully recover from his visit to Bob Jones University, whose founders are have criticized Catholicism. He wrote an apologetic letter last week to New York Cardinal John O'Connor, but he has struggled to reconcile his actions with his rhetoric that he is a "uniter, not a divider."

Bush, more than any other candidate, has incorporated his personal faith into his campaign policy and rhetoric. He proclaimed Jesus Christ as his hero during an Iowa Republican debate and has outlined 'faith-based' initiatives.

Specifically, he has called for the lifting of federal regulations to help allow religious organizations assist the poor. He also wants the government to provide tax credits to encourage charitable gifts.

After graduating from Yale in 1968 with a history degree, Bush entered the Texas Air National Guard for five years, serving his country far from Vietnam's shores. After being rejected from the University of Texas Law School, Bush was accepted at Harvard Business School, where he graduated in 1975.

He started an oil-drilling business upon his return to Texas, and flirted with political office with his 1978 run for the U.S. House. After his loss, he did not return to political work until 1987, when he helped out his father's presidential campaign. After a successful run as a part-owner of the Texas Ranger baseball team, he ran for Texas Governor in 1994, won and was reelected in 1998.