Mourning for McEvoy

Former Crimson executive dies an untimely death while studying medicine in Ireland

By The CRIMSON Staff

The Crimson joins members of the Harvard community today in remembering Christopher W. McEvoy '99, who died December 16 in Dublin, where he was studying medicine. Friends and family have characterized McEvoy as kind, dedicated and thoughtful. We would like to take a few moments to mention how he exemplified those traits during the time he spent working at 14 Plympton St.

McEvoy began his tenure at The Crimson as a sports writer and columnist, and finished as an associate sports editor. Editors who had the opportunity to work with him during this period emphasize the high level of effort he put into the final product. He paid attention to the smallest of details-the headline of a story, the cutline for a photo-and in doing so, served as a role model for younger editors who would eventually fill his shoes.

In March of 1998, the Harvard women's basketball team upset top-ranked Stanford in the first round of the NCAA tournament, an unprecedented event in the history of collegiate basketball. Following the game, the sports department decided to publish an "extra." It was McEvoy who volunteered, at 3 a.m., to take on the tedious task of placing text and photos onto the page-a crucial role in creating what turned out to be one of the most historic sports editions The Crimson has ever published.

McEvoy's contributions to The Crimson were those of selfless dedication. And so, we pay homage to his memory in the best way we can, by offering thanks for the love and devotion he gave to this humble institution.