Senior Class Marshals Announced

By Elisabeth S. Theodore, Crimson Staff Writer

The eight winners of the senior class marshal elections received congratulatory e-mails yesterday from a division of the Harvard Alumni Association.

Gerard P. Hammond ’02 of Cabot House, who received the most votes, will be first class marshal, and Chad G. Callaghan ’02 of Mather House will serve as first vice president.

The remaining marshals, in order of votes received, are Nick N. Lau ’02 of Cabot House, Adam V. Kline ’02 of Leverett House, Maritess F. Panlilio ’02 of Currier House, Laura J. Barnard ’02 of Mather House, Daniel B. Droller ’02 of Eliot House and Avik Chatterjee ’02 of Adams House.

The winners were elected in a two- tiered election, with the last eight selected from a group of 16 finalists. Voting for marshals ended last Thursday.

The marshals will head up the Senior Class Committee, which coordinates activities during the week before Commencement and organizes alumni events and reunions after graduation.

Callaghan, who is also a Crimson business editor, said he was thrilled when he learned about the election results.

“A friend was standing right next to me, and we hugged each other and were really excited,” he said.

Hammond, who said he found out he had won when a friend came up to congratulate him in the dining hall, said he was honored to be chosen and looked forward to giving back to his classmates.

“I love Harvard and I felt I could contribute a lot [to Senior Week],” he said. “I really care about this place and the students.”

The committee will soon meet to begin discussing funding and ideas for Commencement activities, Callaghan said, adding that he looked forward to his duties after leaving Harvard as well.

“My favorite part [of Harvard] is getting to know my classmates, and I wanted to keep everyone in touch after graduation,” he said. “We have a great group of people.”

Panlilio said she was excited that the marshals are “such a diverse group of people.”

The first and second marshals agree that their main goal will be to create a senior year that the Class of 2002 will find unforgettable.

“A message to the senior class of ‘02 —get ready for the best Senior Week yet,” Hammond said.