Barrios Campaigns for Student Support

U.S. Rep. MICHAEL E. CAPUANO (D-Mass.) meets Harvard College Democrats at a barbeque. Jarrett T. Barrios ’90, who is eyeing a state senate run, also spoke to students.
By Lauren R. Dorgan, Crimson Staff Writer

rios ’90 is on the verge of jumping into a state senate race—and he hopes that students at his alma mater will help him nab the more powerful position.

Barrios came to campus this Saturday for a barbeque with the Harvard College Democrats to meet with constituents and prospective volunteers.

“Coming to Harvard, which is in the heart of the district, and talking to students who are engaged in the community is a great way to help build a field operation,” Barrios said.

Barrios has not signed on the dotted line yet, but on Saturday, he said he had talked to Mass. State Sen. President Thomas F. Birmingham ’72, who currently holds the spot. Birmingham is widely expected to make a run for governor in 2002. Barrios said he expects Birmingham to announce his plans formally by the end of the year.

“I am planning right now on running for the state senate in the district that includes Harvard,” Barrios said in his clearest statement of intention yet.

Birmingham did not return repeated calls for comment.

Barrios is also waiting for the finalization of the redistricting plans which are currently pending in the State House, he said.

He has begun planning a “bread and butter” Democratic platform on issues such as health care and affordable housing.

Barrios said he hopes his interactions with Harvard students will bring them into his budding campaign.

Much of Harvard lies in his current district, and he is seeking those votes, Barrios said.

“I’ve got the Union dorms, Adams, Mather, Dunster and Leverett [Houses],” Barrios said, as he greeted students at the door of the barbecue.

In addition to attracting those few hundred student votes, Barrios said he went to the barbeque to find campaign participants.

“I have about five to six Harvard students involved right now and I’m expecting that number will grow,” Barrios said.

Next week, some Harvard students will be delivering a newsletter to Barrios’s constituents, he said.

“It’s an effort to give Harvard students an opportunity to get involved in the community of Cambridge,” Barrios said.

—Staff writer Lauren R. Dorgan can be reahced at dorgan@fas.harvard.edu.