W. Hoops Watches Penn Make History

By David R. De remer, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women's basketball team had hoped it could prevent a Penn Ivy title celebration at Lavietes on Saturday, but the Quakers--now winners of 18 straight--played just well enough down the stretch to avoid defeat.

As the final buzzer sounded in Penn's 62-57, Ivy-clinching victory over Harvard (10-14, 7-4 Ivy), the newly-crowned league champions piled onto center court in ecstasy, bringing the Quaker fans in attendance to their feet.

It was a night full of milestones. As Penn (19-5, 11-0) clinched its first Ivy title and NCAA berth in school history, Quaker senior forward Erin Ladley scored her 1000th career point, and Quaker senior center Diana Caramanico surpassed 2312 career points to break the Ivy scoring record of Crimson great Allison Feaster '98

"The record means a lot to me, but it doesn't mean as much as the team championship," Caramanico said. "The fact that we won makes it that much more special. It's awesome that Erin scored her 1000th point--everything that could have happened tonight happened for us."

Penn led just 57-55 with 5:19 left, following an NBA-range three from Crimson junior forward Katie Gates. But then the Quaker defense took control, limiting Harvard to just two points for the rest of the night.

Carmanico hit her typical, smooth turnaround shot at the 3:04 mark to end two minutes of defensive gridlock and give Penn some breathing room. Ladley hit two free throws on Penn's next possession to extend the lead to six.

Junior guard Jenn Monti followed by hitting her own characteristic shot--a one-handed lay-in while cutting across the top of the key--to keep Harvard within four.

Pressure from senior guard Carrie Larkworthy enticed Ladley to travel, and then the two team's leading scorers--freshman forward Hana Peljto for Harvard and Caramanico--exchanged misses at opposite ends of the court, leaving the Crimson with the ball and 23 seconds left.

In the subsequent timeout, Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith chose to put the ball in the hands of freshman Jennifer Lee.

"She can get a shot off better than most, and she's a good shooter, and she hit some nice shots in the first half, so that was the plan," Delaney-Smith said.

Lee threw up a three-point shot with a defender in her face, but it fell just short. When Harvard got the ball back following a free throw from Penn freshman Jewel Clark, the Crimson tried to set up Peljto from outside, but defensive pressure forced her shot off target.

That miss ended any lingering doubts of a Penn victory. The crowd chanted "Ivy Champs" as Penn forward Julie Epton was immediately fouled and sent to the line.

Seven of the Penn's 11 Ivy victories this season have been decided in the final minutes by five points or less.

"That's really been our strength this year, sticking in the tight games and pulling them out, when in past years we haven't been able to do it," Caramanico said. "We would like not to have every game be a close game, but sometimes that's the way you have to win."

Now on the strength of Caramanico and Ladley's senior leadership, Penn is just three wins away from becoming the first team outside of the '96-97 Harvard squad to go undefeated in the Ivies.

Fittingly, Caramanico and Ladley finished with matching 20-point totals to lead all scorers.

"All their ball games have been close and they find a way to win," Delaney-Smith said. "They have two phenomenal seniors that find a way to make it happen. I admire their hard work and the way they take advantage of every single possession."

As usual it was the two freshmen forwards, Peljto and Tricia Tubridy, leading all Harvard scorers with 14 and 13 points respectively. Lee finished with eight points and was 4-of-4 from the floor outside of the final minute.

According to Lee, her nine-point performance in Harvard's meeting with Penn two weeks ago was the beginning of her transition from a bench-warmer to a go-to player.

Harvard had just five players make the scoreboard--a season low. Gates and Monti, the only upperclassmen to score, each had 11 points. Gates led the team with three steals, while Monti dished out six assists without turning the ball over.

"Look how young my team is," Delaney-Smith said. "So I'm proud. There's a great future for us. The young kids are getting lots of experience. Carrie Larkworthy played her heart out. Jenn Monti played a good game tonight for us and Katie Gates has been getting stronger and stronger."

With the departure of Caramanico and Ladley next season, Harvard would like to think itself the 2001-02 Ivy favorite. But Caramanico expects that the Ivy championship experience will carry over to next year's team.

"Although I won't be here next year, I think hopefully I've taught our freshman and sophomores something," Caramanico siad. "We're going to get some players in--our coaches are awesome and they're not going to give this up."

Harvard 72, Princeton 36

On Friday night, Harvard beat Princeton (1-22, 1-9) the easy way by burying the Tigers early and crushing their spirits.

In their previous meeting two weeks ago, Princeton led by 12 at the break, and Harvard needed a furious second-half rally to pull off the victory. On this night, the Tigers were helpless to stop Peljto, who finished with 20 points despite playing sparingly in the second half.

Harvard led 38-21 at the half and continued to dominate the game even after it emptied its bench. As the Crimson lead widened, the Tiger's effort on defense became increasingly nonexistent.

Lee and junior Sharon Nunamaker each finished with eight points, most of them in the second half.

The Crimson, still eager to hold down second-place in the Ivies, will make the Cornell-Columbia trip this weekend before hosting Dartmouth for its season finale the following Tuesday.