Select Seniors Write Creative Theses

By William M. Rasmussen, Crimson Staff Writer

Murad Kalam '95, who is also a Crimson editor, hopes that his novel Night Journey will hit the shelves of book stores soon.

And he has good reason to hope. Winning the prestigious O. Henry award last month for a short story he wrote established Kalam as an up-and-comer in the literary world.

Night Journey, Kalam says, began as a creative senior thesis, which only a few-hand picked English concentrators are allowed to write. The English Department announced their selections last week.

Kalam says that being accepted to write a creative thesis was a critical step in his dream of becoming a writer.

"I was jumping up and down when I got it. It wasn't easy to get," Kalam says.

The Chosen Few

Director of creative writing Brad Watson says that the creative thesis process is a lot like writing a book.

Students must submit a sample of their own writing as well as an outline of their project.

"I tell students to make it like a book proposal to a publisher," Watson says.

The process, according to Watson, is daunting to many students.

"We did tell students that it was a competitive process," he says. "That may have a discouraging effect on some people."

Emily N. Ogden '02, whose thesis will be a compilation of poetry about her home state of Iowa, says she has been writing creatively for two years.

"[The writing sample] is just a matter of selecting what I've already done," she says.

Erica B. Levy '02, who is also a Crimson editor, says compiling a writing sample is the most difficult and time-consuming part of the application process.

"People have been collecting poems for years," she says. "They pick out the best ones and turn them in. It's not something you can do in a week."

To those serious enough about writing to be accepted, the program offers what Kalam says is an invaluable and rigorous experience.

"In a workshop, people look at a flash of talent but, when people scrutinize a thesis, they expect you to perform on every page," he says.

Jerome L. Martin '01 says he concentrated in English solely because he wanted to write a creative thesis.

"In order to do well, you have to put a lot more time into it than a critical thesis," he says. "It's hard, but it's totally worth it."

Watson says the creative thesis offers students a unique opportunity to undertake a serious literary endeavour.

"Its a chance to do something different," he says. "It's a way to get a book under your belt before you leave school. That's a big confidence builder."

Kalam says that since Harvard does not offer a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree, a creative thesis presents an appealing alternative.

"Writing a creative thesis was critical to me because I did that instead of get an MFA," Kalam says.

Kalam said he also thinks that earning an MFA is not an essential prerequesite for a successful writing career.

"Hemingway didn't need an MFA to learn how to write," he says.

A Looser Standard?

Watson says the number of applicants for creative theses has been falling since he started teaching at Harvard in 1998.

"In the spring of '98 we had maybe 30 people apply, this year we've had only about 15 or 20," Watson says.

According to Watson, students were not actively discouraged from applying, but some may have figured their chances for selection were slim.

"People just take a guess at their chances and some just don't apply, which is unfortunate," he says.

Watson says the English department is pressed to meet the demand for creative theses.

"We just don't have enough people to read and advise all of them," he says.

But Watson says the department is considering expanding to allow more people to write creative theses.

"There has been some informal discussions in the department about getting more people to read theses," he said.

Watson says Todd A. Kessler '94, a screenwriter for the HBO hit television show Sopranos, will serve as a senior thesis advisor this year.

"He will direct a few creative theses for playwrights and screenwriters," Watson says. "It's the first time in awhile that we've had theses that are plays or screenplays."

Watson says the department is considering adding a position in dramatic writing.

"We have high hopes [for adding the position]," he says. "I wish we had more slots. We are working on it."

But Kalam--who says writing creative theses should be the privilege of a dedicated few--says that expanding the program might not be such a good idea.

"If you don't come to the process with a structured plan and committment, you won't be able to write a creative thesis," he says.

Martin says that a more open process might encourage less dedicated writers.

"There's something to be said for competitiveness," Martin says. "Those that do it are a lot more into it."

Kalam says one of his friends attempted to write a creative thesis the year before he did. After failing to write the number of pages his advisor desired, his friend had to drop out.

"I think people don't know what they're getting into with this," Kalam says. "Non-writers often don't understand how impossibly hard writing is."

If the creative thesis program is to maintain its integrity and reputation, Kalam says, it will have to stay small.

"There's a great tradition at Harvard of producing great writers and poets," Kalam says. "[The program] should be very hard to get into, otherwise it cheapens the creative thesis process."

Depending on the success of Night Journey, Kalam may have a chance to add to that rich tradition himself.