BSA Elects Sophomore President

By Juliet J. Chung, Crimson Staff Writer

In what was nearly a non-election, the Black Students' Association (BSA) announced its new 2001-'02 board yesterday, with only one of the 11 positions contested.

The new board is young, as it has been in recent years. All but two of the new officers are first-years.

Incoming President Brandon A. Gayle '03, who served as last year's treasurer, said the scarcity of candidates was one reason he decided to run for president.

"It was a little disheartening that more people didn't step up to take over what we as a board had started," Gayle said. "I wanted to make sure we continued that tradition."

Only the position of alumni representative was contested.

Gayle ran on a platform that emphasized his commitment both to increasing the participation of members and to increasing the group's political activity.

"This year we did a lot to rebuild the social aspect of the organization," Gayle said. "We've heard a lot of rhetoric about the BSA being too social and not political enough, so I definitely want to balance that."

Gayle said he wants the BSA to become more active on and off the campus with causes like the Living Wage campaign and the protests of black students at Northeastern University to retain their black students center.

He also said he would continue to build on the work of the past board in terms of fundraising efforts- as treasurer last year, Gayle helped secure a $10,000 corporate sponsorship from the Boston Consulting Group that placed the BSA on a sound financial footing.

Gayle also played a major role in organizing the group's response to remarks made by Kenan Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield '53 in February that linked grade inflation at Harvard to the influx of black students in the 1970s.

He is currently trying to create an endowment for the BSA that will provide need-based scholarships for members. Other plans include creating an alumni advisory board and creating a network between black student groups at Harvard and other Boston schools.

The other new board members are: Marques J. Redd '04, vice president; Toussaint G. Losier '04, secretary; Jasmine J. Mahmoud '04, treasurer; Natalya S. Davis '04, arts and entertainment chair; Jamin D. Warren '04, public service chair; Fred O. Smith '04, political action series chair; Olamipe I. Okunseinde '04, publicity chair; Jennifer N. Hawkins '04, publications chair; Chioma J. Duru '04, alumnae representative; and Kiratiana E. Freelon '01, senior representative. Losier is also a Crimson Editor.

Outgoing BSA President Aaliyah N. Williams '02 said she would have liked to see more competition but added that she is confident of the new board's leadership abilities.

"In a situation where you have a very strong time commitment, it's good to see people step up who will actually take it and run with it," Williams said. "The [first-years] are fresh and new, but I know they've been dedicated and active in the black community."

-Staff Writer Juliet J. Chung can be reached at jchung@fas.harvard.edu.