Horowitz Addresses Overflowing Crowd

By Zachary Z Norman, Special to The Crimson

David Horowitz spoke to a packed auditorium at Boston University (BU) last night in an address entitled “Racism & the Intolerant Left Wing,” addressing affirmative action and inner-city schools, among many race-related issues.

He did not spend a significant amount of time talking about his recent controversial advertisement arguing against reparations for slavery submitted to several college newspapers.

"Even if it succeeded . . . it would be money for those bureaucrats," he said.

Over 200 people had to be turned away because the auditorium was filled to its fire code limit of 377.

But the crowds did not stop people from trying to hear Horowitz speak. When a police officer left one of two doors to the auditorium, nearly 20 people rushed the door and some managed to enter the auditorium before they were pushed back by the police.

The police ordered the crowd to disperse, but around 30 people did stand outside the auditorium throughout the speech to informally debate race-related issues stirred up by Horowitz’s ad, as well as his ideas.

Some attendees said they thought Horowitz had not adequately addressed issues regarding race, racism and his controversial ad.

"I don't think he answered any of the questions asked of him," said Brooke A. Lautz, a student at Boston University.

A few students, however, defended some of Horowitz’s ideas.

“If we want to see free speech, let us hear all viewpoints,” said Nathan W. Smith, a student at Tufts.

The event was organized by the Boston University College Republicans and the Young America's Foundation.

"We wanted to bring a conservative to campus," said Emily A. Abell, one of the organizers.

The College Republicans had scheduled the speech before the recent ad controversy.

Horowitz’s appearance brought out a surprisingly large audience for a politically apathetic campus, according to BU student Aram M. Fischer.

“I wonder if it takes a guy as extreme as this to get a reaction,” he said.

Because of the controversy surrounding Horowitz, the Brown University College Republicans rescinded their offer to have Horowitz speak there on Wednesday. Brown recently gained national attention when students seized an entire press run of the Brown Daily Herald after the newspaper published Horowitz’s ad.

Although Horowitz used to be a leading member of the New Left during the sixties, he turned conservative in ensuing years and is now president of the Center for the Study of Popular Culture.