NHL Drafts Four Crimson Skaters

By David R. De remer, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s hockey team reaffirmed itself as the ECAC’s leader in NHL-quality talent last weekend when four Crimson players were selected in the league’s 2001 entry draft.

With the selection of rising sophomores Kenny Smith and Dennis Packard and incoming freshmen Noah Welch and Tom Cavanagh, the Crimson produced twice as many NHL prospects as any other single team in the ECAC.

Harvard also produced an ECAC-best four NHL draft selections in 2000. With juniors Dominic Moore and Brett Nowak and sophomores Rob Fried and Tyler Kolarik remaining on the team, the Crimson now boasts eight NHL draft picks on its 2001-02 roster.

Student-athletes, provided that they are 19 years of age, do not lose their NCAA eligibility upon their selection. Although top college players often leave school early to sign pro contracts, the majority of recent Harvard draftees have chosen to stay the full four years. Last year’s Harvard captains, Chris Bala ’00 and Steve Moore ’00, were both second-round NHL selections.

Welch, a second round selection by Pittsburgh and the 54th pick overall, was the first of the four draftees to hear his name called.

Welch, a six foot four, 212 pound defenseman, played prep school hockey at St. Sebastian’s, where he led his team to a New England Prep Championship and earned his league’s MVP honors for his senior season. He hails from Brighton, just a short walk south from Harvard’s Bright Center.

“[Going to Harvard] has always been one of his goals growing up,” said Penguins scout Joe Malone to the team’s official news outlet. “He’s a good student and he wants to go the four years.”

Welch was the 2001 winner of the Boston Bruins’ John Carlton Trophy, given to the most outstanding student-athlete in Mass. high school hockey. Past winners of the award include Ted Donato ’91, who was the NCAA tournament MVP for Harvard’s 1989 national championship team, and 1995 World Series MVP Tom Glavine, who was a Kings draft pick years before he established himself as a major league pitcher.

“[Welch] has a heavy shot, he sees the ice really well and he plays with an edge,” said Penguins scout Neil Shea. “He’s got a hell of a future ahead of him.”

Smith, a third-round pick and the 84th selection overall by the Edmonton Oilers, was the second Harvard player picked. After missing the first half of this past season with a stress fracture, Smith established himself as one of the Crimson’s most reliable defensemen, typically teaming up with captain-elect Pete Capouch to form the Crimson’s top penalty-kill unit.

Smith made a name for himself well before coming to Harvard. He is a former captain of both the U.S. Under-17 and Under-18 teams. At the prestigious Hockey Night in Boston summer tournament, he was named the top professional prospect.

The first Harvard forward selected was Cavanagh, a sixth round selection by San Jose. Cavanagh rewrote the record book at Phillips Exeter Academy, tallying 42 goals and 40 assists during his senior season. His father, Joe Cavanagh ’71, was a three-time All-American for the Crimson.

Packard, a seventh round selection by Tampa Bay, rounded out the Crimson draft choices. Packard picked up just four goals and four assists on the season. But he finished the season strong, scoring the Crimson’s first goal and adding an assist in Harvard’s season-ending, 3-2 overtime victory over Dartmouth in the ECAC consolation.

U.S. college hockey produced four of the 30 first round picks in this year’s draft. The OHL and the WHL, two of the major Canadian junior leagues, produced the most first round picks.