W. Volleyball Falters Unexpectedly

By Cathy Tran, Crimson Staff Writer

What began as a promising season for the women's volleyball team ended in disappointment with an abrupt first-round exit at the Ivy tournament.

"It's disappointing to make an early exit from the Ivy tournament, and that was especially true this year because we hosted Ivies at Harvard," said co-captain Sarah Mattson.

In spite of the raw talent and depth that abounded on this year's roster, the Crimson (14-13, 2-5 Ivy) was unable to concoct the perfect mixture of experience and youthful enthusiasm. As a result, the team was unable to close out important games and hold its own against Ivy rivals.

In what became a disturbing trend throughout the season, the Crimson lost games to its Ivy opponents and would then bounce back from these losses to trounce non-league competitors. For example, after the Crimson had dropped a 3-1 match at Brown and a 3-0 match to Yale in its last weekend of Ivy play, it rebounded to win its next match, a 3-0 romp over non-league Holy Cross. Harvard then went on to dominate Marist and Sacred Heart in two straight 3-0 matches to end the season.

Although the team's ability to bounce back from league defeats reflects the team's determination to prove itself as a legitimate contender, its poor Ivy record gave the Crimson a No. 7 seed entering the Ivy tournament.

In a difficult five-game match, the Crimson eventually lost to No. 2 Penn, despite strong performances from junior Erin Denniston and co-captain Katherine Hart. Cheered on by an enthusiastic crowd, the Crimson capitalized on early Penn errors and won the first game but lost the next two. To force the fifth game, Denniston catalyzed a crucial 8-0 Harvard run, allowing the Crimson to capture the fourth game.

However, the Crimson could not hold on at the end, ultimately losing, 15-11.

"[O]ur quarterfinal match against Penn was one of the most exciting and well-played of the season," Mattson said. "If we had to lose, that was the way to go."

Hosting the Ivies was a particularly poignant way for the Crimson to salute its graduating seniors-Mattson, Hart and Angela Lutich.

"Ivies is always a special event, and Harvard did a great job making the final tournament a memorable one," Mattson said. "Our last match against Penn was really exciting, and there were so many people in the stands. It was really amazing to have that experience."

Despite the loss of this year's seniors, the Crimson will possess the tools next year to improve on this season's Ivy performance.

Sophomore setter Mindy Jellin, who was named Rookie of the Year last year, continued this season to remain an invaluable asset to the Crimson's attack. Next year, Denniston will be expected to resume her role as one of the team's leaders in kills, especially with the loss of Hart. In addition to Jellin and Denniston, freshman middle blocker Mariah Pospipil turned in several impressive performances this year.

"The freshmen are a really talented and competitive class," Mattson said. "I think the team will be looking especially to [Pospisil] in the middle. "

In spite of the Crimson's bright future, the presence of this year's seniors will be missed next year. Lutich, Hart and Mattson provided valuable guidance both on and off the court to a team that included seven freshmen and one sophomore transfer student.

"I feel incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to play volleyball here," Mattson said. "I've made some of my best friends and had so much fun. Playing here has made me love the sport even more than I did when I came here."