Harvard Students Take on Ben Stein Tonight

By Kate L. Rakoczy, Crimson Staff Writer

Tonight, the age-old rivalry between Harvard and Yale will be played out upon a new stage—Ben Stein’s stage, that is.

On tonight’s episode of the comedy trivia show “Win Ben Stein’s Money,” three Harvard students—Kevin E. Meyers ’02, Alex F. Rubalcava ’02 and Shaun T. Takao ’04—will face off against Ben Stein, who attended Yale Law School and graduated as valedictorian. On the show, known for its antics and frequent sexual innuendos, contestants answer trivia questions delivered by host Ben Stein. After the first round, the contestant with the lowest number of points is eliminated and Stein steps in to replace him. In the final round, Stein goes head-to-head answering trivia with the one remaining contestant.

Tonight’s show, which was filmed at the University of California at Los Angeles, is part of a college series designed to kick off the program’s new season. For the next two weeks, fraternity brothers, sorority sisters, professors and the like will all compete for the chance to win Ben Stein’s money.

On Thursday evening, another Harvard student, Andy Nikonchuk ’02, will play against students from Yale and Georgia Tech. Stein said the show with Meyers, Rubalcava and Takao was “one of the best shows we’ve ever done in the five years that we’ve been doing the show.”

“These kids were not only smart and well-informed, but they were well-dressed, poised, carried themselves well and I think they have a very bright future ahead of them,” he said.

The contestants, in turn, described Stein as down-to-earth and friendly—as well as incredibly smart. Though many people know him as the boring teacher in Ferris Bueler’s Day Off, Stein is an author as well as a professor, and has served as a political speechwriter and lawyer. Meyers, Rubalcava and Takao all auditioned last fall for the trivia show “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” Though they were not selected for that show, their names were later referred to the producers of “Win Ben Stein’s Money” when they started looking for contestants.

The students were flown out to California in August for the show’s taping.

The three students asked that The Crimson not reveal the winner of tonight’s show in order to preserve the suspense for their friends—and to keep alive a few friendly wagers that have been placed on the game’s outcome.

Both Meyers and Rubalcava are Crimson editors.

—Staff writer Kate L. Rakoczy can be reached at rakoczy@fas.harvard.edu.