Group Raises Money for Israeli Soldiers

ZACHARY L. BERCU '04 sells candy bars outside the Science Center Friday to raise moeny for Israeli soldiers. The sale was sponsored by Harvard Students for Israel.
By Christine M. Delucia, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Harvard Students for Israel (HSI) held a three-day “Invest in Israel” sale last week, offering Israeli candy and “Shalom” T-shirts, as well as shot glasses and beer mugs, to raise funds for Israeli soldiers.

HSI’s “Buy Israel” campaign came in the midst of an ongoing debate over calls in recent months for Harvard and other universities to end investments in companies that do business in the country.

But student organizers said last week’s sale was organized to support Israel’s economy, which has been hurt by a slowdown in tourism and continued conflict in the area—not specifically as a reaction to the divestment issue.

“It’s not a reactionary thing,” said HSI member Shira R. A. Pinnas ’05. “Since the Israeli economy is really suffering, people can still help support it.”

T-shirts supporting the Israel Defense Forces, the country’s military, proved to be the fastest-selling items, organizers said, going for $12 each.

Shot glasses reading “Give peace a shot” also sold quickly, as did “Party like it’s 1948” beer mugs—referring to the year Israel became a sovereign country. More than 30 shot glasses and 30 mugs had been sold in the first few hours after they went on sale Friday morning.

Other sale items included body lotions made with ingredients from the Dead Sea, chocolate bars, hats, wallets, Israeli flags and T-shirts saying “Shalom,” or peace.

HSI plans to put profits from the sale toward care packages for Israeli soldiers serving away from their families. The group grossed more than $1,600 in 10 hours of selling, according to organizers.

“I’ve been very pleased,” said Avi D. Heilman ’03, former president of HSI and the group’s current cultural chair. “People seem to be interested in buying stuff and investing in a basic and simple and personal way.”

This is the first year HSI has held such a sale, an idea they got from other campuses across the country holding similar sales.

“The response has been very positive,” said HSI President David B. Adelman ’04.

An “I support Israel” petition at the sale had gathered about 200 signatures by Friday afternoon. The petition expresses support for Israel’s right to self-defense and “solidarity” with Israel as a “democratic ally” of the United States in the war on terror.

HSI students played Israeli pop music CDs to attract passers-by and to encourage interest in Israeli culture.

“It’s a very good way to support the cultural side of Israel,” said Rozalina Grubina ’04, who stopped to check out the chocolate and other wares. “It’s not often seen, which is a shame.”

“I thought it was very clever,” said Amit Lakhanpal ’06, who bought two beer mugs and a shot glass. “I didn’t really see it as too much about anti-divestment, more just a fundraiser rather than a political statement.”