Love It or Leeve It: A dream come true

By Brenda Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

Remember the thousands of camera flashes for every Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire at-bat in 1998? Remember the awe that each home run caused as you watched history unfold before your eyes?

Back then, baseball was hurting as it tried to lure back fans after the strike, and the Sosa-McGwire home run chase recaptured some of the magic of America’s national pastime. Fast forward to this postseason, and there’s a match-up waiting in the wings even more captivating than the Chase for Maris. There’s an instant classic in the making that is higher voltage than Sosa and McGwire combined.

The Curse vs. the Cubs.

Talk about good for baseball. This series would have enough drama and history to leave fans talking for years—featuring two teams with red, white and blue jerseys no less.

The marketing potential for this series would make any TV executive’s mouth water. Think of the storyline, the almost overwhelming history of these two teams. Think of Fenway’s green mon-stah and Wrigley’s ivy in the same series. Think of the overly dramatic video montages ESPN and FOX would put together with American flags waving in the background.

As ESPN.com’s Sean McAdam pointed out in a recent column, even the newspapers would duke it out. Like in the good ole days of newspaper wars, the Tribune Company (owner of the Chicago Tribune) would battle The New York Times (owner of the Boston Globe) for the freshest stories and most exciting material.

The Sox and the Cubs have rabid fans, and people would tune in from across the country because these teams have pull. The Red Sox Nation is thriving right now, reaching far beyond the Northeast. After Game 5 at the Coliseum, the Boston players went back on the field to celebrate with the legions of Sox fans in attendance—in Oakland.

As for Chicago, it lies in the heart of the Midwest, which is begging for some sign of life. The Sox haven’t won since 1918, but the Cubs’ dry spell stretches back to 1908.

Everyone loves the underdog, and this team has worn the loser tag for 95 years. Compare this history lesson with a Marlins-Yankees series. Who really cares?

All this without even considering the actual match-up, which is as mouth-watering as the proverbial apple pie. The pitchers’ duels between Boston’s experience and Chicago’s phenoms. The hitting tag teams of Manny-Nomar and Sammy-Moises. Now mix those up—Pedro vs. Sammy, Prior vs. Manny—and it’s apple pie a la mode.

One team would finally win, banish its demons and cause its fans to break down weeping, overcome with vindication and beer. The loser’s fans would be crushed yet again but rise from the rubble with conviction that next year is the year.

Both teams may thrive on losing now, but any championship team enjoys increased fan support. Look at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the New Jersey Nets and the Anaheim Angels. Winning has never hurt a franchise. And just think—if the Sox shake The Curse, they’d actually one-up the Yankees legitimately.

Red Sox-Cubs. Cubs-Red Sox. It’s a dream come true for fans and for baseball. Get those cameras ready.

—Staff writer Brenda E. Lee can be reached at belee@fas.harvard.edu.