Students Wait, Worry Over Shuttle Seats

By Claire G. Friedman, Crimson Staff Writer

Students hoping to take discounted Undergraduate Council buses to New Haven for The Game this weekend may soon have to seek an alternative.

With every passing minute yesterday, the number of eager students lined up at the Harvard Box Office grew, with the line snaking its way out of Holyoke Center and onto the sidewalk.

Two years ago, the council organized the shuttle ticket sales differently, selling tickets outside the Science Center. But return tickets were sold—and sold out—in New Haven, leaving many students stranded at Yale.

This year, the council is selling shuttle tickets through the box office, so students know before they leave Harvard whether or not they have a return ticket.

While students will not be forced to fight for a shuttle spot on the streets of New Haven, the new method has produced long lines and sold-out shuttle times remain.

“We increased the number of shuttles 20 percent compared to last time,” said council President Rohit Chopra ’04. “I guess we over-publicized though.”

He added that he was surprised by the number of people are interested in the council’s shuttles.

“I want to make sure that everyone who wants to go can go,” said Chopra. “However we can’t add an unlimited number of shuttles. We will definitely suggest other transportation options if necessary.”

Chopra said the council may direct people to another bus, such as the Greyhound, which passes through New Haven and costs about $50 for a round trip ticket.

Meanwhile, the box office is bustling.

Yesterday, an employee of the box office stepped out every few minutes to direct the line and to announce the sold out times.

“All shuttles are available going to New Haven,” she shouted. “Coming home on Saturday, only the 10 p.m. shuttle is left.”

Some students groaned. Others shrugged. No one left the line.

“I was going to take the 8 p.m., but if the 10 p.m. is the only one I’ll just stay later,” said Kate K. Westfall ’04, who said she had been waiting in line for 45 minutes.

Other students said the sold-out shuttle didn’t affect their travel plans.

“I was going to take the 10 p.m. shuttle back anyway,” said Kevin C. Heaps ’07, who was close to the end of the line. “Hopefully it won’t be sold out by the time I get to the front.”

As more tickets sold out, leaving only Sunday return shuttles available, concern among students in line grew.

“If Sunday’s return shuttles sell out, we have no way of getting home,” said Elise L. Eggart ’07.

“Well, we have legs,” replied her friend, Mariza L. Garzah ’07.

As tickets from the box office continued to sell out yesterday, some students looked to other places in order to purchase shuttle tickets. One girl posted a ticket request on her House open list, hoping that a lucky holder of a 5 p.m. Saturday ticket was no longer in need of a seat.

In the end, the council expects that everyone should be able to find a way down to New Haven.

“I don’t know if I’ll even make it to the game,” said Westfall. Not because she won’t have a way to get there, she said—because she’ll be having so much fun at the tailgate.